Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS
STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Keywords

Latest topics
November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:18 am by Sentinel

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:35 am by Sentinel

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Other religious holidays!

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:56 pm by Sentinel

*wipes sweat from brow* Whew, political correctness is a lot of hard work. But it has to be done.

ANYWAYS, we did it - we (almost) survived 2016 which, I think we can all agree, was pretty damn terrible in many ways.

Regardless, it was a good year on the forums - we've met some new faces, set out …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 2

Dylan's Mini Guide to Atmosphere

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dylan's Mini Guide to Atmosphere

Post by ~Dylan Battle~ on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Hello, I'm Dylan ... Dylan Battle.

And I'm an imaginator.

So I've thought of something interesting. In every great work or RPG, there's always a subtle bond that keeps the right kind of ambience that keeps characters, settings, and readers fully immersed in their world.

So I've put together a mini-guide to atmosphere.

So break out your funny fingers and lets get crackin'!

1. Attention

I describe the scene the way I want the reader to look at the scene. I don't want the reader seeing a cup being filled with tea. I want the reader to see the cup being filled by bruised hands and a weary traveller sighing with relief as he realizes that he's finally getting a warm cup of Jasmine tea, because his nephew is now the fire lord and the Four Nations can finally live in peace.

Attention is not something you attract. You command it with the words you use, you put your hand on the back of the reader and you softly push them towards the point of interjection.

2. Mind

This is by far the most fluid point of atmosphere, it delves into the thought of the narrator, whether that be a character or a third person being who floats in the sky (it's just called third person, I'm just weird) Whatever this may be, pull the emotion out of the scene and relay it into the minds of the reader.

Gimby is young, violent, and filled with rage. He holds his gun with deadlocked hands and eyes, waiting patiently for his next target.

NOT:

Gimby is a trouble boy, tirelessly he waits for his next target.

The reader wants as much description as the text can hold and/or create. It's a process of building purpose. Wait... that brings us to our next step.

3. Process of elimination

When describing character and action, I would advise you to take a short little checklist with you.

CLAAC

Character, Looks, Attitude, Action, Consequence.

Describe the character to make sure that the reader knows who it is that you are talking about before you go too deep. When you get in too deep, readers get confused, and when readers get confused, they do many other things instead of leave.

Describe the looks of the character in a correlation with their current emotions and or placement in the situation. If the character is lost, please describe I'm some form or fashion that the character is lost. If the character is angry, please describe the level of anger, they vary, trust me. Is he shaking with rage, or is he silently plotting the death of his enemies, with a snakes gaze on his profile. I wanna know.

Attitude... this is self explanatory, explain how the character is going to react or deal with the situation, in books, there is no moment of silence. There is only a slight pause, gentle whispers, the still hearts of the few. There is no pause between camera shots.

Action, what does the character do against the situation. Does it cause another problem, or does it end it. Does it do nothing, action can be anything.

Consequence, describe what happens to the characters. Does she shoot the gun, how does Tobias take her death? Does he spread her ashes across a zipline or does he jump and there's no net.

These three steps can get you towards building up a great atmosphere when used like weaponry. Some other things to add are history, more emotion, development, high points and low points, cliffhangers. And when used in small quantities, confusion.

I hope you enjoyed this little guide to atmosphere and I hope it helped you a little, if not, leave a reply below. Thanks for reading!

Don't do drugs.

(Unless its caffeine.)

(Caffeine is goood)
~Dylan Battle~
Adept Creator
Adept Creator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top