FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS

STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
» « Asphodel »
Today at 2:21 pm by Comrade Squid

» Asphodel: The Application Thread
Yesterday at 9:59 pm by Captain Whitehawk

» Irongale ♕ [RP THREAD]
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 am by boyhoy

» Infinity's Row 2: The Puppetmaster ☾ [ROLEPLAY THREAD]
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am by boyhoy

» Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels)
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 pm by Michael DeathFlame

» [RP THREAD] L I M I N A L
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 am by Adrian

» Harwell’s Institute for the Fairly Exceptional II
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 pm by Fix-It

» [APP THREAD] L I M I N A L
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:50 pm by Adrian

» Dylan's Ultimate Guide to his Asphodel Characters
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:14 am by Captain Whitehawk

March 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Deathless

Go down

Deathless

Post by Omni on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 pm

This particular story I wrote for my school's lit journal. Ultimately, I decided to use a different piece there, so I wasn't doing anything with this one and decided to post it. This one isn't too long, and it's only a one-shot, so there won't be any more. It isn't like most of people post here, but I hope you enjoy it regardless. Now, ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

Deathless

Five years crawled by like cold black slugs, and Afanasiy Mikailov was still drinking. That night his poison was deep golden whisky in a hundred shallow glasses. “Are you sure you haven’t had enough?” asked Johnny Prince. Johnny wasn’t Afanasiy’s friend, exactly. Marya had been Afanasiy’s friend. But with Marya gone, Johnny was the closest thing Afanasiy had left. “You’ve had quite a lot already...”

“Yes,” Afanasiy replied. “Yes, I am sure. Never enough.” He knocked back another slug of whisky.

Johnny put his hand on the other man’s arm, gently and carefully; Afanasiy tended to get quite violent when he was drunk . “She’s dead. Five years missing and surely dead.”

“I know,” A moment of silence. “Do you know the story of Koschei the Deathless?” He didn’t wait for Johnny’s reply. “Koschei was a wizard who kidnapped a princess, and he could not die, for his heart was hidden. He had put it in a needle, and the needle in an egg, and the egg in a duck, and the duck in a hare, and the hare in a great chest, which he buried beneath an oak tree on the island of… I don’t remember the name. And Koschei could only die if the needle was broken against his forehead.”

“What happened?”

“He was killed, of course. He was a monster. Someone sailed to the island and found the tree and dug up the chest and took out the hare and took out the duck and took out the egg and broke the needle against Koschei’s forehead. And so the princess was saved…” Afanasiy stared blankly into his whisky, as though scrying for answers in the bottom of the glass.

Down on the shore of the lake, there was a small canoe rental, just a shed with a counter and a tin roof and a cartoony wooden lumberjack decorating one wall. The place was named Bunyan Boat Rental, but the first ‘n’ on the old sign had fallen down, leaving only a less weathered patch of wood. Buyan Boat Rental. That was where Afanasiy went after he left the bar.

“I need a boat,” he said to the wooden lumberjack. “Please. I have money. I need a boat.” The lumberjack did not reply. Afanasiy slugged it in the face, and cursed at the pain in his hand. Then he turned on the door of the shed, banging and cursing until finally the rusty old chain broke and he spilled inside. Boats, all primary-colored plastic with sporty logos painted on, filled the space, with oars and lifejackets in bins along the walls. Afanasiy took a boat and some oars and set out across the water.

Afanasiy reached the island around midnight. He stumbled out of his boat, water sloshing into his shoes. He slogged up the nighttime beach with mud sucking at his feet. Reaching the tide line, he stepped onto fitfully growing grass and staggered forwards into a small stand of trees. Moonlight and leaf-shadows dappled his pale face, and the dark lines gave his visage an emaciated cast. His steps became faster, desperate and feral. For an instant, he seemed out of time, the ageless and terrible predator of humankind—then he tripped over an exposed root and the illusion was gone. He was only a man.

On his knees now, Afanasiy crawled through the leaves. He came to a stop in front of a small, stunted-looking oak tree. The ground before the tree was uneven. Scooping away the loose earth with nothing but his hands, Afanasiy began to dig. Soon his hands were sore, soon bloody, but Afanasiy did not care. He dug deeper, and found what he was looking for three feet down. With a sharp tug, Afanasiy pulled a white, dirt-crusted human skull from the hole.

Afanasiy held the skull up to the sky. Moonlight poured through the skull, first through a largish, ragged hole at the back of the head, then through the smaller hole at the front where the solid lead slug had entered, forming a silvery circle on Afanasiy’s face. “Marya,” he whispered, “Marya… I’m sorry, Marya. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, Marya, I’m sorry!” His voice rose to a shout, with no one around to hear it. “Marya! I’m sorry, Marya! Marya! Marya!” Tears poured down Afanasiy’s face, but too late. The skull was silent; Marya did not respond.

Afanasiy reached back under the tree and felt cool metal under his fingertips. Trembling, he drew out a pistol, a small semiautomatic. The gun still had bullets left. “The needle…” Afanasiy whispered.

He put the gun to his forehead.
Omni
Omni
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Re: Deathless

Post by chou on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 am

1. you're perfect
2. i love you
3. i hate you
4. holy SHIT

ok this was so good ok and it's style was so lovely! something about it had such an hollow, empty feel (it's a good thing, it set the tone) and again i adore your pretty simplicity!! your prose isn't overdone but it is still gorgeous and uuuuughhhh i h a t e yoooou wow wow wow ok. like o h m y g od,,,,,

uhmmm i'll probably give you some cnc later on skype or something because i can't find anything to criticize yet and i've read it 8 times it's 7:10 am and idk what im doing tbh ok bye

chou
Novice Creator
Novice Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Woah, Omni. That's pretty dang fantastic. You're very good at setting the tone, especially that empty one at the very beginning. Um, critiques. . . try to describe emotion a little more, especially around the end. Maybe. It might not even need that, you subtly handled the mechanics and description to display emotions. 10/10, man.

"You rise with the moon, I rise with the sun."

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

Currently Reading: Dear Evan Hansen by Val Emmich
Currently Watching: The Umbrella Academy
WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chou on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:42 pm

I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL FIGURE OUT ALL YOUR STUPID SYMBOLISM HHHHHH I HATE YOU

chou