Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS
STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
January 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Favorite Books?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Favorite Books?

Post by Adrian on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:08 pm

So I just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (which was friggin' amazing)

And I want to know what I should read after I finish War of the Worlds and The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Because I haven't seriously read since middle school and I feel I need to catch up.

What's your favorite/suggested book/series GO
Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

http://bit.ly/JxlCjs

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite Books?

Post by boyhoy on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 pm

The most recent book I finished was called Endgame: The Calling by James Frey and some other dude. I thought it was flipping fantastic. It's Hunger Game-esque in that there's 12 teens who are all fighting to the death. But kinda like Hunger Games meets The 39 Clues (pretty sure only Writing has read this series).

Basically, each teen is a direct descendant of an ancient line of people (i.e. Olmecs, an American Indian tribe, ancient Chinese families etc etc.) and they all take part in this game of death to ensure the survival of their line upon the end of the world. This is done by traversing the globe in an attempt to figure out "riddles", so to speak, that were left by the unknown orchestrators of the game. It's a triology, though only the first book is out as of now. There was already a crapton of action and some twists I didn't see coming in the first book so I can only imagine what's to come. My only critique would be that at the beginning, the story was being told from too many perspectives and I often forgot who was speaking or who the character even was. This does get resolved as you continue though. So basically, I would highly recommend this to anyone who's interested in this kinda stuff. It definitely grabbed me right away, with it being the first book in a very long time I actually stayed up until 5-6am reading. I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradox on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:34 am

I may look into that, Boyhoy, it interests me, I also like both the hunger games and the 39 clues.

My favorite book series, by far, is The Tapestry, by Henry H. Neff.  It's sort of hard to explain, but it involves very powerful demons, the world being radically changed, a school of magic, witch clans, and an extremely awesome technological faction.  It's also based off Celtic Mythology, with referances to Cuchulain, Lugh Lamhfada, the Gae Bolga, Scathatch, and the Morrígan.
Paradox
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaybaysasuke on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 am

If you haven't already, the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel is a really good book series.

Shaybaysasuke
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

http://Teh-Random-Irish-Chick.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigSkinnyWhiteB on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 am

I mean it depends. There are a couple single books that I could suggest. and a few series.

If you want just a few single books series there is Fahrenheit 451 and and Feed. Both are science fiction novels.

Series wise there is the Ender Game series (also Sci-Fi because Sci-Fi rules). there is also the department 19 series (not Sci-Fi).

Also as boyhoy said there is the Endgame book which I can also say is very good. I just finished it as well and it a very well written book.

Skilled Creator
Skilled Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 am

I agree Shannon - that's a great series. Also, H.I.V.E., or the Higher Intstitue for Villainous Education, is a great series as well for anyone who wants an academy fiction type of book. Also, Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye is a really good book, and there's a sequel that is quite good.

Influential Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhoy on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:08 am

@Shaybaysasuke wrote:If you haven't already, the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel is a really good book series.

Yeeeeeeeeesssss!!!!!

boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:18 am

Books yay!

Yeah, H.I.V.E. is really good, and I'll definitely consider checking out Endgame and Cloud Atlas. They both sound awesome. Very Happy

Books I recommend include:

-Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness. This is so, SO good. Like, it's-tied-with-HP-for-my-favorite-series good. After coming to the New World, settlers from the Old World (Earth) discovered that there's a condition unique to their new planet - the Noise, which revealed all the thoughts of men and killed all the women. That's what Todd Hewitt was taught - but then he encounters a living girl, and suddenly the two of them are on the run from an entire army. It's a really deep book and incredibly insightful, plus it's, of course, completely suspenseful and filled with action. Ness's writing style is AMAZING - it's so freaking original, and just the way he writes fight scenes . . . Very Happy It's so good, guys. First book is The Knife of Never Letting Go.

-A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Yup, Ness again. I love this author. This is a very different novel, but his writing is just as amazing. This one's about a monster that visits a boy named Conor every night, a boy who's struggling with his mom having terminal cancer. It's a short but very insightful read, complete with beautiful illustrations. This is also VERY good, and again, I recommend it.

-Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Because Harry Potter.

-The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. This is basically a hybrid of Once Upon a Time and Firefly, with it being fairy tale retellings set in a sci-fi world. Each book focuses on a different character: Cinder (a Cinderella that's a cyborg that snarks the heck out of everyone), Scarlet (Little Red Riding Hood that's an ace pilot and crackshot), Cress (an adorable fangirl Rapunzel that lives in a space satellite), and Winter (an African-American Snow White, whose sanity is slipping). The author pulls the concept off really well, and balances out the ever-growing cast of fantastic characters in a skilled way. The latest book, Fairest, just came out, so yeah, I'm really anxious to get my hands on it. It's just a really entertaining series overall.

-Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. This is a post-apocalyptic/superhero/dystopian kind of book, in a world where superhuman powers were gifted to people, but these powers corrupted them, and now they're known as Epics. One such Epic, named Steelheart, reigns over what's left of Chicago with an iron fist, and after he killed his father, David Charleston sets out to do the impossible and bring down Steelheart once and for all. If you like a lot of action, a strong narrative voice, and some pretty creatively bad metaphors, this book's for you.

-Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. It has a bit of a similar concept to Steelheart, but it's definitely different. In a way, it's a little bit like Ocean's Eleven meets Game of Thrones. In a high-fantasy world that's been under the Lord Ruler's reign for over 1000 years, street urchin Vin's life changes when she meets the charismatic Kelsier and his crew. She discovers that she, along with Kelsier, possesses the powers of a Mistborn, and thus begins the plot to free the country from the Lord Ruler's tyranny. This is a focused and well-written book, with intricate characters and easily some of the best worldbuilding I've ever seen. Highly recommended for fantasy fans or people who just like a smart book.

Those are my recommendations. ^.^

[Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]
Currently Reading: Renegades by Marissa Meyer
Currently Binging: Yona of the Dawn
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mythie on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:33 am

Yeah I agree HIVE is great, it's a little bit of a younger reading level though. The Unwind series and probally my favorite scifi/ dystopian/ horror series . It's kind of funny how many of the books on this list we've made RPGs/ we are all into on this list though...

Epic Creator
Epic Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaybaysasuke on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 am

Oh, and if you're looking for a more classical book The Count of Monte Cristo is amazing.

Shaybaysasuke
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

http://Teh-Random-Irish-Chick.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top