FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS

STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
» « Asphodel »
The Brave - Page 2 EmptyToday at 1:05 pm by Sal

» Harwell’s Institute for the Fairly Exceptional II
The Brave - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 1:17 am by WritingBookworm

» {RP THREAD} The Divine
The Brave - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 pm by WritingBookworm

» Asphodel: The Application Thread
The Brave - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 2:11 pm by Captain Whitehawk

» charybdis' whirlpool
The Brave - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 9:58 pm by Sal

» Serpent King ⊱ RP THREAD ⊰
The Brave - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 11:28 am by Shaybaysasuke

» Serpent King ⊱ APP THREAD ⊰
The Brave - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:04 pm by WritingBookworm

» Soulblade [Roleplay Thread]
The Brave - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 pm by Comrade Squid

» On Creating a Roleplay
The Brave - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 11:34 pm by Athena Lionheart

September 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

The Brave

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Brave - Page 2 Empty Re: The Brave

Post by boyhoy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:41 pm

I have to do a bit more editing on my chapter then I shall post it! Also, Alyssa made an awesome graphic at the beginning of the story so you should all check it out!!

Realizing a year late I haven't given credit to Lady Sen for the amazing avi! <3
boyhoy
boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kane on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:44 pm

AN AWESOME BANNER FOR AN ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FANTASTIC STORY!

Kane
Honorary Patron
Honorary Patron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sal on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:13 am

^.^ thanks Kane and you too Ronan. xD

The Brave - Page 2 YSSVP9Y
Sal
Sal
Roleplay Moderator
Roleplay Moderator

https://salpphie.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhoy on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:21 pm

~Chapter 4: Duncan~

(Author's Note: Sorry for the long and extremely boring chapter. They'll be better after this, I promise. We just had to get the really dull intro stuff out of the way!)

I turned away from the group that had gathered around me as Ronan spoke up, announcing a new leader that we would be meeting. I spot her as she emerged into the small cone of pale light cast by the bulbs that hung delicately overhead, her strides long and purposeful despite her less-than-terrifying stature. Her face took on an otherworldly appearance as she gave a stone cold stare to each initiate, peering into the depths of our souls. She looked like what you would expect from a female Dauntless, but at the same time she seemed to be so much more. She had the usual piercings found throughout her face, with hers being mainly clustered in her ears and nose. She also had outrageously colored hair consisting of streaks of orange and yellow shoving their way through her natural caramel brown locks. However, despite her intimidating stare, she could easily be described as beautiful. Her eyes, while devoid of emotion, were a stunning green and she had a natural grace about her when she moved. Her mouth slid upwards in a smirk that caused her eyes to momentarily light up and she folded her slender arms in front of her.

“Alright rookies, listen up. As Ronan said, my name is Steph and I’ll be one of the leaders in charge with your initiation. I will be in charge of those who are Dauntless-born, yes this means the transfers and natural born will be split for some of the initiation,” she explained, ignoring the shocked mumbling of the initiates. “Those who have me, be prepared to work your ass off, all day everyday. If you can’t handle the weak shit of this initiation, you don’t deserve to be Dauntless. It’s that attitude that led me to be the top graduate of my initiation class, even beating out Mr. Congeniality over here,” she added with a playful nudge at Ronan’s side who answered her with a simple roll of his eyes.

“Now, as you may know, Dauntless is not a place for the weak. Those who are physically, emotionally, or mentally weak will not survive to see the end of initiation. We do not care if you get hurt. We don’t care if you break down and want to quit. We don’t care if you die. We only care about success, strength, and bravery. If you are having second thoughts, I suggest you exit now while you still can. Because this will be your only shot to back out,” Steph proclaimed, staring out amongst the crowd. I could hear the sniffling and strangled sobs of a couple students and watched in disgust as they fled the group. They should have never chose Dauntless in the first place. They were pussying out and we hadn’t even gotten inside the compound yet… I sighed and shook my head at the absurdity of the situation. But I had little time to ponder this before Steph spoke up again.

“Well, now that we have that taken care of, it would appear we have 27 of you remaining. I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you this… Only ten of you will actually become members of Dauntless. The rest of you will end up factionless,” she stated blandly, with no emotion to her voice. The calmness in which she said it was what frightened me the most. The fact that she could decree this so stoically was beyond my comprehension.

“Only ten make it?! That’s bullshit!” a rambunctious male shouted from the back of the pack.

“Why? Are you unsure of your abilities, Felix? Are you afraid you will fail? Because as you know, fear has no place at Dauntless,” Ronan piped in from the side, his face hidden within the shadows of the hall. This comment effectively shut Felix up and resigned him to simple mumble under his breath.

I glanced over at Adalia and saw a steel glint of determination resting in her eyes, her petite hands balled up into fists at her side. I could tell she was scared of this new piece of information; hell, we all were. But I also sensed she would make it through. She had something that many of these seemed to already lack. Stubbornness. She would not go down without a fight and this would help her succeed. Me on the other hand, I was shitting bricks. Sure, I was confident I could perform better than a large hunk of these recruits, but the top ten? That was a stretch. I simply stood there, glaring down at the floor as the vision of those who fled re-entered my mind. That could be me. Factionless. One slip up here, and I’ll end up like them. I peered over at Adalia again and see her tilt her head to stare back at me, that rock solid determination still present in her sapphire irises and send her a confident smirk. I could see her body jerk slightly in a scoff before she faced forward once again and a small smile slips onto my face. If Adalia was confident she would succeed, then so would I.

Well, now that we have that lovely tidbit of info out of the way, how about a quick tour of the Dauntless complex, then you’ll have some free time until dinner. If you would be so kind as to follow me,” she addressed with a chuckle before thrusting her way through the group of newbies and making her way down the dimly lit hall, her figure winking in and out of existence as she traveled. I could see the others darting their glances around, trying to absorb all this knowledge we just obtained. Most of them were scared out of their minds but trying so incredibly hard not to show it. I simply stared straight ahead, keeping as much emotion off of my face as I possible could.

“Well what a welcoming’ party, eh?” a voice penetrated my thoughts and swiftly brought me back to reality. I turned my head and saw a boy garbed in the black and white colors of Candor peering at me. He was a couple inches short of my six foot frame and on the slender side. He had shaggy brown hair and matching hazelnut eyes. His nose was crooked and his face seemed permanently fixed in a sly grin.

“Ya, sure,” I replied bluntly, returning my gaze to its straight ahead position.

“I can’t believe only ten of us are gonna make it through. That’s scary as hell don’t cha think?” he inquired. With my silence as his only answer, he continued on. “I mean, sure it’ll be fine for me, but I feel bad for all the rest of ya!”

“Arrogance is often the demise of many…”

He shrugged and continued on. “The name’s Garrett by the way. Garrett Robinson. From Candor, obviously! And who might you be, Sir Stick-Up-His-Ass?”

My eye twitched slightly at this comment but I brushed it off and turned to face him. I needed to get a thicker skin if I was going to survive here, and being pleasant might not hurt. Hell, I might even make a friend. “I’m Duncan Eldridge. Abnegation transfer,” I introduced.

“Well Duncan Eldridge, I’m sure you’ll be surprised to hear this, but it was a pleasure to meet ya,” he teased with a smirk.

I shook my head once again and sighed, turning my attention towards Steph only to collide into the back of some blonde haired female in front of me.

“Um can’t you see we stopped, idiot?” she hissed at me before spinning around to Steph, her ponytail whacking me in the head in the process. I flicked her off, even though she couldn’t see me, before focusing on what Steph would have to say.

“Right now, we’re at the dorms. I hope you remember how to find it, considering you will be staying here for your duration of Dauntless. God don’t even get me started on the freakin’ retard who got lost like everyday last year…” she groaned with a less than subtle roll of her eyes. “Honestly, if you can’t find your way to the dorms, I’ll shove my foot up your ass so hard, it’ll come out of your mouth! Now, on with the tour!” she proclaimed cheerfully, practically skipping onward down the hall.

“She forgot to mention that boys and girls will both be in the same room, though Dauntless-born and transfers will be kept in separate dorms,” Ronan explained before continuing with Steph.

Once they were out of earshot, Garrett whipped around to face me. “That chick is freakin’ crazy!” he whispered into my ear as we followed the group.

“Shut up!! She’ll hear you! Then we will feel her wrath!” some girl clad in all blue whimpered from behind us, which caused me to chuckle slightly.

After a few more twists and turns, we arrived at a pair of metallic doors. “Ahead of us is the Pit. It’s the main hub of our compound and houses most of the shops and activities we have to offer here. You will most likely spend your free time in this area,” Steph informed, sounding like one of those cheesy tour guides you see in museums. “I’ll tell ya more as we go, but for now, welcome to the Pit!”

The doors slid open with a bang and harsh, fluorescent light floods my vision. Immediately, my eyes squint to try and adapt to this sudden brightness and, judging by the varied sounds of protest around me, the other initiates were attempting the same task.

“You’re all a bunch of pussies…” Steph scolded as we all took our first steps into the Pit.

To say the Pit was big would be an understatement. The Pit was massive. It stretched upwards as far as I could see and was easily double the length of our entire school. Ramps of stone and stairs carved into the rock could be seen running along the edge of the rough granite that the Pit was composed of. Shops and other vicinities dotted the face and some could even be seen perching at precarious angles, threatening to tumble off at any moment. Probably the most noticeable feature was the countless number of Dauntless members shoving their way through the area, elbows colliding and shouts echoing off the rock. People here were definitely rowdy and they didn’t give a damn what anyone thought. Being here was such a shock coming from Abnegation where people rarely spoke let alone shove each other.

Steph turned to face us all and clapped her hands once to get our attention. All eyes turned to her as she opened her mouth to speak. “Okay, so like I said before, this is the Pit. We have everything from shops to tattoo parlors, even a swimming pool,” she explained and gestured over to her left where girls in black bikinis and covered in tats could be seen lounging out as sun poured in from the glass roof overhead. Garrett sent them a wink and a small wave. In return, he got a few choice gestures himself, which caused me to chuckle under my breath.

“Anyway,” Steph continued, “I won’t be giving you a full tour here. I ain’t your damn babysitter. You’re all old enough to do that on your own time. Be warned that none of the stairs or ramps have railings, so make sure you don’t slip!” she cautioned with a playful wink and a slightly demonic laugh before turning and walking off.

“Ya, this bitch is cray..” Garrett muttered into my ear as the group followed after Steph.

“Calling one of the Dauntless leaders a bitch and ‘cray’ is not necessarily a smart move if you wish to survive Dauntless,” Ronan commented as he shuffled past the two of us. I proceeded to inch away from Garrett, hoping to not be associated with him for the sake of my own life.

After the Pit, we traveled to someplace that Steph referred to as the Chasm. It was basically a gigantic waterfall that turned into a series of rapids as the water traveled through the ravine. There were a plethora of rocks and scattered debris here, making it look extremely deadly. Yet somehow, the Chasm was beautiful. The great power it possessed and the unwavering determination to crush whatever was in its way was astonishing. It was also incredibly accurate for Dauntless life; you had to be strong-minded and laser-focused if you hoped to survive. Steph gave us some speech about dying and being careful here or some shit that caused the a Erudite girl with glasses next to me to whimper in fear.

“So, that pretty much ends our tour. There’s some more stuff I could show you but frankly I’m sick of being around you all already,” Steph said with a flick of her hair. “Ummmm let’s see… There’s something I was supposed to tell you…”

“Their change of clothes. And dinner…” Ronan supplied from her left.

“OH! Right! So we have provided you all with a set of clothes back at your dorms so that you can begin to look the part of a Dauntless.

Additionally, you will receive a card that has ‘points’ on it,” she explained as Ronan went through the crowd, passing out the card. “These points can be used to buy additional clothes, tattoos, and other commodities throughout your stay. You only have a set number but you will receive new points each month.”

I glance at the card that Ronan handed me and tilt it so the sun reflects off the polished silver surface before slipping it into my pocket and turning back to the leaders.

“Dinner will be at seven o’clock. Listen for the bell that will sound off to signal the time. Am I missing anything else?” she mumbled to Ronan who sighed and shook his head disapprovingly.

“Curfew is ten o’clock so make sure you’re in the dorm by then or you will be punished. The rest of today is yours to spend how you wish but training will begin first thing tomorrow. Breakfast is at six am sharp and training is at seven. If you are late to training, I will personally see to it that you regret it for the rest of your stay here…” Ronan threatened ominously before turning and marching away from the group.

“Welcome to Dauntless!” Steph concluded before spinning on her heel and sprinting after him.

“Well, guess that ends the tour!” Garrett piped up, receiving a couple of glares from some Candor girls, before the group of initiates began to break apart. The Dauntless-born seemed to band together and race off to who-knows-where while punching and screaming profanities at one another the entire time. Most of the transfers were just awkwardly standing around, sticking with people from their previous faction before slowly walking away as they tried to remember where everything was in the compound.

“So, where are we off to, buddy?” Garret inquired as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I tense at the contact and cringe slightly as I shrug it off.

“I want to go to the dorms and change into their clothes. I’m tired of being gawked at like an exotic animal in this goddamn Stiff getup,” I replied and turned, making my way to the dorms with Garrett close behind.

We only got turned around once on our way to the dorms, which I found very impressive considering all the hallways in Dauntless had the same steel walls and fluorescent light bulbs dangling overhead. To make matters worse, there weren’t any signs or anything to lead our way. Though a minor accomplishment, at least now I knew I wouldn’t have Steph’s foot up my ass for not being able to find the dorms. I walked over to my bed and snatched up my piles of clothes, Garrett following suit and removing his from the bunk above my own. After heading into the bathroom, I emerge completely decked out in Dauntless clothing. My grey robes and undershirt were no more; instead I was clad in a simple black t-shirt that fit snugly around my arms, some black pants made of a coarse fiber I believed they called denim, and some black tennis shoes. I see Garrett dressed the same and he cracks a smile.

“Well looks like we’re twinning it today, Duncan!” he snickered as I gave him a roll of my eyes.

Just as I’m throwing my old clothes into a bin in the room, the door swings open revealing Adalia and Becca in its frame.

“Oh hey there, Goldilocks. Fancy seeing you here,” Adalia greeted with an incline of her head.

“Hello Adalia,” I sighed, shaking my head at the name she insisted on calling me. The two girls made their way across to us, Adalia taking a seat at the edge of her bed. I glanced over and saw Garrett flash her a smile and shoot her a wink, only to get an eye roll back.

“Oh relax, Duncan. Lighten up for once!” Becca scolded as she nudged me with her elbow, causing me to jerk back instinctively.

“Damn, Becca! You know I hate it when you do that!”

“I know, that’s why I did it silly!” she giggled and titled her head at Garrett. “I don’t believe we’ve met, and Duncan here is far too rude to introduce us. My name is Becca. Previously Abnegation.”

“Garrett. Pleasure to meet you madam,” he replied, leaning over to kiss her hand which caused both Adalia and I to gag instantly.

“Aaaaanyway, Becca and I were going to go change and look around the Pit before dinner. Do you two want to join?” Adalia asked.

I open my mouth to reply but Garrett answered before I could get a word in. “Of course we would! It would be out honor to travel with you!”

“I was going to say something like that…” I mumbled as Adalia and Becca rush off to change. They emerge a few minutes later, both emerging in clothes similar to ours only sporting shorts instead of pants.

After another journey through the maze-like halls of the compound, we finally found the bright light ahead signaling we found the Pit.

“I told you we should have taken the left! Always go left!” Garrett spat out once we finally reached our destination.

“Screw you! Your logic sucks ass!” I retorted, dodging through masses of Dauntless members.

“Obviously it doesn’t suck ass or we would have gotten here already,” Adalia butted into the conversation.

“If you always go left, you’ll go in a giant circle!!!” I shouted clutching my head in dismay as I became increasingly frustrated with the conversation.

“Woooooah there, Goldilocks. Calm your tits! We’re just messin’ with ya,” Adalia smirked, obviously satisfied to be getting under my skin.

We had barely made it up the first ramp to a shop when Becca yanked on my arm, stopping us all in our tracks.

“Guys, look. Aren’t those guys in our class for initiation?” she inquired, signaling with her head to two guys who had just walked out of a shop ahead of us.

I shrugged my shoulders as I glanced their way. They seemed familiar but I had no idea who they were. They were both clad in clothes similar to ours and the way they were talking to one another signified they knew each other already. One was talking very rapidly while the other seemed to be completely ignoring everything he was saying with an expression that could only be described as resting bitch face plastered on. Upon making eye contact with me, he yanked on his partner’s arm and began the descent toward us.

“What’s up fellow newbies?” he asked with a jut of his head in greeting. His sidekick nodded to us as well. He was approximately my height with brown hair trimmed to perfection and pale blue eyes that constantly darted around. His tanned complexion and perfectly whitened smile instantly made me think this guy was going to be a complete douche.

“We’re just traveling around, trying to kill some time until dinner. I’m Be-” Becca began but was quickly cut off.

“You the Stiff?” he asked, completely ignoring Becca. Instead, he was giving me a smug little smirk as he peered me up and down like a piece of meat to be devoured.

“Ya. Duncan Eldridge. And who are you?” I replied. It sucked having the label as Stiff stamped on my forehead but there was nothing I could do about it. It was my choice to come here and I knew I would face this kind of reaction when I got here. I accepted this all when I drew my blood over the coals and there was no turning back from it now.

“Travis Cutters. This is Antoine Rivera,”

“We’re from Erudite,” Antoine added. Antoine was a couple inches shorter than Travis with black hair that hung tightly around his head. He seemed to be of Hispanic descent with his darker complexion and chocolate colored eyes to match.

“So, Eldridge. What makes you think a measly Stiff like you can cut it here in Dauntless?” Travis sneered as he jabbed me in the chest.

I could sense Garrett taking a step forward but shook my head, not taking my eyes off of Travis. “I don’t know Cutters. What makes you think a dickhole like you can cut it here either?” I retaliated.

“You think you’re tough, Stiff? Well how about you back up that big talk with some action?” Travis challenged as he stepped closer to me, barely an inch away from my body.

“Duncan…” Becca warned from behind, resisting to grab my arm once again.

“Oh you scared now? You just a pussy who can’t handle a little fight?” Travis taunted again, his foul smelling breath smacking me in the face.

“For someone from Erudite, you sure are a moron. Fighting unnecessarily outside of initiation will only make me look foolish. You’re doing a fine enough job of that without me as it is,” I shot back.

“You bastard…” he hissed and brought his arm up. Only he didn’t get very far before Antoine grabbed him and yanked him back a step.

“Travis. It’s not worth it. You can just cream him during training.”
“Oh believe me. I will,” Travis whispered loud enough for me to hear before yanking his arm out of Antoine’s grasp and shoving past me down the ramp.

Once they were out of earshot, I turned back to my friends and smirked. “What assholes, huh?”

“That’s an understatement. I’m kinda pissed we didn’t throw down right here…” Garrett answered with a grin.

“Hell ya! We could have taken them!” Adalia shouted with a fist in the air.

“Adalia. They would have stomped you to the ground…”

“Screw you! I can fight!” she snapped back, causing the three of us to roar with laughter. “Stop laughing at me you dicks!”

Our laughter was interrupted by a sharp and shrill ringing sound echoing off the stone of the Pit. Realizing it was dinner time, we made our way to the cafeteria to enjoy our first dinner of Dauntless. Burgers and fries were served which was a foreign meal to me since we didn’t eat meat in Abnegation, but the juiciness and tenderness of the burger made me become anti-vegetarian instantly. I could see Travis glaring at me throughout the course of the meal but simply ignored him. No need to fuel his fire anymore than I already had. Dinner was uneventful but it was nice to wind down after the hectic day we had. Everything was moving so quickly that it was threatening to swallow me up, and we hadn’t even begun.

Once dinner ended we all made the trek back to the dorms, settling in for the night. It made me a bit uneasy that Travis was sleeping just a few feet away from me, but I shrugged the feeling off. It wasn’t like he was going to stab me in the eye with a butter knife or anything, right? Despite how tired I was, sleep struggled to find me that night. This whole new life I had was a bit terrifying and I was skeptical to how well I would be able to adjust. Not only that, but I had this condition or power or whatever the hell being Divergent meant that I had to live with and hope nobody figured out. That was sure to make my life here that much harder. And in a faction where people are getting cut to live on the streets, the last thing I needed was extra bumps in the road. But all in all, it was a pretty great first day and I was excited to see what my future here would hold. With that thought in mind, I turned over and finally drifted off to sleep.

Realizing a year late I haven't given credit to Lady Sen for the amazing avi! <3
boyhoy
boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sal on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Amazing chapter Ronan! <3 Expect the next chapter sometime in a few weeks, getting busy with some things irl.

The Brave - Page 2 YSSVP9Y
Sal
Sal
Roleplay Moderator
Roleplay Moderator

https://salpphie.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2