FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS
STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
June 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Quick Guide to Supernatural Powers, Items, and more

Go down

Quick Guide to Supernatural Powers, Items, and more

Post by Adrian on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:50 am

Overview

Let's face it - a good majority of the RPGs and stories on this website are going to bear some fantasy elements. The word "fantasy" in this context can range from magical/paranormal to pseudo-scientific/advanced technology. With such a wide range of elements and applications, one has to be careful - what is right for my story? I am by no means a master in the fantasy department, but I do have a passion - and hopefully, this guide can help you!

Supernatural Powers:

Sentinel's Guide On: Supernatural Powers, or Superpowers

In the fantasy genre, it's common to expect fantastic abilities from a variety of characters. A lot of these powers stem from magic, while others are more metaphysical in nature.

When creating a character, however, be it an RPG or a story, a user can hit road blocks as to what a character's power should be. Nobody wants to have the same power as someone else (unless you do, in which case, go for it), but nobody wants something so outlandish that it has to be explained in a lengthy (and often confusing) process.

Hopefully, this guide will serve as a basis for those seeking guidance in supernatural powers and paraphernalia.

(Also, the Superpower Wiki is a helpful guide for even more powers!)

Magic

Magic is easily the most popular umbrella power. There's all kinds of -mancy's, but there are usually 3 things you need to remember about it:

1. Magic always comes with a price.
  2. Magic requires energy, and if you don't have the energy to perform, you could find yourself in a dangerous position.
  3. Users are always limited by skill. It's nigh impossible for someone to become god-like, be it a novice or an elder user (with a few exceptions - though said exceptions likely gave up something highly important).

Magic is usually narrowed down to offensive and defensive, but I find that it depends on how the user manipulates their abilities.

Common branches are

• Psionics, the ability to use psychic powers, which can include Telepathy, Telekinesis, and Psychic Manipulation in general
  • Elemental and Spiritual Magic, such as Pyromancy, Hydromancy, Necromancy, and Druidism.
  • Divination, such as Scrying and Extrasensory Perception.

Plus many, many more. The term "magic" is so flexible it's possible to create your own concepts and branches.

Meta Powers

The term "metaphysical" means, essentially, beyond the typical physical world. Meta powers usually stem from advanced science - a power could be alien in nature, or could be from some kind of experiment. In either case, it's impossible for someone that doesn't have a meta power to obtain one, unless they undergo some sort of accident. Most well-known superheroes, such as Superman, The Hulk, Spiderman, and Dr. Manhattan have meta powers.

Meta Powers can include:

• All basic kinds of Manipulations - even Magical Energy Manipulation.
  • Flight - whether you have wings or mere levitation.
  • Powers dealing with the physical universe, ranging from Quantum Manipulation (which deals with subatomic particles), to Sonokinesis, to Reality Warping (which teeters on the fine line between Almighty and regular powers).

Enhancements

Enhancements aren't really powers - just additional abilities that may be side effects of powers. Enhancements can strengthen people to the point where they can be called superhuman.

Enhancements can include:

• Physiology, such as Angelic, Mythic, or even Shapeshifting, which can also be classified as Meta.
  • Anatomical Enhancements such as Speed, Strength, Intelligence, and Vision. Some anatomical enhancements can be granted through bionics, which I'll go over later.

Almighty and Unique Powers

All right, this is where you start crossing into the "godmodding" sector if you aren't careful enough.

Obviously, Omnipotence, or the ability to do literally whatever the hell you want, is OP - overpowered. In addition, any Omni- power (no, not that @Omni - omni meaning "all") that allows a user to have near infinite advantage over everyone else in an RPG or story is godmodding, and is heavily frowned upon in most establishments across role-playing forums.

Examples of Omni powers:

• Omniscience, or the ability to know everything.
  • Nigh Omnipotence, or the ability to do almost anything. (Still OP, nice try though.)
  • Omnifarious, the ability to shapeshift into anything, like a Pop-Tart, or the Borg.
  • Omni-Magic, or the ability to use all forms of magic.

Notice that there's a theme here. If you can do anything of a generality, it's a finger-wagging no-no in most settings.

Unique Powers aren't necessarily almighty, although rare, but they can be godmodding if one is not careful. They can include:

• Accelerated Probability - tips the odds into your favor.
  • Mentifery - turning the imagination into reality.
  • Self-Sustenance - the ability to reduce or remove the need for necessities.
  • God-Mode (can constitute as godmodding if one is too over reaching, but if used right, can be interesting)
  • Fourth-Wall Awareness - the ability for a character to realize that he/she/it exists in a fictional universe (breaking the fourth wall). Can be fun, but if used too much it can disengage the reader.

Ultimately, one must be the judge of whether or not a Unique Power is OP or not. For a list on the Superpower Wiki, click here.

Supernatural/Fictional Items and Locations:

Sentinel's Guide On: Supernatural Items and Weapons

Welcome to Part 2 of my huge guide!

Powers aren't the only things someone might run across in an RPG or story. Artifacts and weapons can also be imbued with otherwordly and supernatural enhancements.

But there's a huge assortment to choose from! And worse, there really isn't a special wiki for one to sort through. While I may not be able to provide everything here, however, this guide may be able to steer you onto the right track in choosing a perfect item/weapon for your character.

Let's get started.

Relics, Artifacts, Sanctuaries and Reliquaries

A relic is (in a RPG/Story-like sense, of course) any object that is imbued with spiritual energy (not necessarily religious, though they can be). They can be synonymous with artifacts. Relics can be weapons, or jewels, any inanimate object really.

A sanctuary is any location that is filled with supernatural (or revitalizing) energy. Sanctuaries don't have to house a relic or artifact like reliquaries do. Some "sanctuaries" might actually be toxic to some characters, depending on their alignment or weaknesses.

A reliquary is any location that houses one or more relics. Sometimes, reliquaries can hold spiritual energy like sanctuaries, but not necessarily. Regardless, reliquaries are generally seen as highly important by the characters of a story and treated with respect.

Usually, characters with magical/spiritual powers find greater benefit from such items. Items can include:

• Runes
  • Any "classical magic" item like a philosopher's stone (though said example is a little OP)
  • Items used in voodoo

Advanced/Pseudo-Scientific Technology

Pseudo-science is a term used to refer to science not accepted by the mainstream community (wow, such hipster). It can include parapsychology, quantum physics*, or any totally alien piece of technology. Think Bioshock, Star Wars/Star Trek, S.H.I.E.L.D. of Marvel/S.T.A.R. Labs of DC... any of the sci-fi stuff.

Sometimes, advanced/pseudoscientific technology can be the source of a meta power, and as such empower the user affected when they either have it around or utilize it. Other times, it can be someone's weakness (like kryptonite).

Such items can include:

• Force field generators
  • Genetic modifiers
  • Superterrorism tactics
  • Bionics - not the prosthetics, but the ones that grant super-strength, etc.
  • Fictional elements like adamantium

*Yes, I know quantum physics is not pseudoscience. I'm talking about time travel, visiting alternate universes, etc.

Super Weapons

Super weapons are basically weapons with super powers. They can be passive, such as being connected/tied to the owner's feelings, or aggressive, such as being electrified, on fire, or forged from Stygian iron. They can also be divided into technological, magical, or both (in essence, magitek). While there are countless examples, the important thing to remember when it comes to superweapons (or anything else in this guide) is that if it's not possible with current, real-world technology or ability, then it can be classified as supernatural.

I may have more to add here, but this should hopefully serve as a basis for writers and RPGers alike. If anything should be added, just comment!

Last edited by Sentinel on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:41 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Editing after 2 years)

Site Rules | Banner Submission | IR | Evergreen
Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

http://bit.ly/JxlCjs

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick Guide to Supernatural Powers, Items, and more

Post by Bat on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 am

I agree the last section. It is really Overpowering.
Now here is an Anti-Example of Meta Powers.(It is joking)
I walk down the street and suddenly I became the Hulk with no reason at all. I started to destroy everything

Bat
Skilled Creator
Skilled Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhoy on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:59 am

Love the guide! Lots of information but it's really easy to understand and well-organized. Nice job Very Happy

boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down