FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS

STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
June 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Awake - A Sleeping Beauty Retelling

Go down

Awake - A Sleeping Beauty Retelling Empty Awake - A Sleeping Beauty Retelling

Post by WritingBookworm on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:45 pm

One millenium ago, the demon Lillith was released.
The eldest brother of the royal family of Grenyth unbound this great force of evil from the depths of Hell so that he might usurp the throne from his younger brother.
The great demon tore through the land and reduced it to ashes when she placed its great protector, the Queen of Rosentum, under a powerful sleeping curse.
Through the turmoil, the Crown Prince of Grenyth found a way to save the world. He reawakened the Queen, defeated the demon, and brought peace to the world. The eldest brother was punished accordingly, and no further blood was shed.
But Lillith would not rest. She vowed that she would not rest until she had exacted revenge, and that she would rise.
And rise she did.

~ ~ ~

"You say this will work?"
Her lips stretched out into a wide smile, her white teeth glinting at me like a knife's blade. The torches lighting the small stone chamber cast shadows over her dark amber eyes. "Indeed, child. It will unleash a sleeping spell upon both you and the court. Of course, it will not cure the poison in the King's veins, but it will keep it at bay."
I looked over to the item she was standing by. The spinning wheel looked awfully ordinary. It was made of wood, a bit aged, like it'd been made by a humble woodcutter a few years ago. It looked innocent.
But the needle didn't.
I pinned my arm to my side when I saw that it was shaking.
Her laugh sent chills crawling down my spine. "Alas, you poor thing," she said. "Frightened half to death."
"I'm not scared," I said a little too quickly and much too defensively.
I took a deep breath. Calm yourself, Dawn, I told myself. Or, at least attempt to act calm.
"How do I know you speak the truth?"
"You don't. But it's your only option."
My throat tightened. I looked at her with all the boldness I could muster. With her defined cheekbones, meticulous fingers and ivory skin, she didn't seem much different than what my father had told me she looked like seventeen years ago.
Exactly seventeen years, on that day in which she had bestowed the curse.
I'd been warned, guarded, never left alone for a second. Today, security had been doubled. Yes, it hadn't entirely worked. Yes, if I did this, then all of that would have been in vain.
But if I didn't, Father would die.
I closed my eyes. When I opened them once more, they were trained on the spinning wheel.
My legs felt as heavy as lead, yet I forced it towards the item. Breathing became increasingly harder the closer I came to it.
When I was upon it, it was all I could do to get one inhale in.
I looked up for a moment to see my final sights. The gray stones were held in place only by withering tar, the fires in the torches illuminated the room dimly, and to my left, she was barely suppressing a laugh.
Truth be told, I didn't know how long I'd be asleep for. I didn't even know if I'd ever wake up. But if I were to die, then I suppose a sacrifice is one of the better ways to go.
I brought my hand up and dug my finger into the needle's point.
I didn't even feel the pain. A force as strong as weights dragged me down to the floor, and my eyes closed just as I hit the floor.
I wasn't quite sure, but I think I heard something vaguely like a laugh as the darkness took over.

~ ~ ~

Charles slid off of his horse and ran off so fast that he nearly forgot to tie it down. He spun on his feet, ran back to the horse and wrapped the rope around one of the white pillars before tugging it into a knot. Then he turned back around and, with his red cape dancing behind him, ran over to the circular steps, taking them three at a time.
And then, at the top of the dias, he stopped.
Lying upon a fancy pedistool was the princess. The one that ten-year-old Will had heard so much about in his lifetime. She was the one who always slept. A sleeping beauty, they called her.
Charles stood there and scanned the princess. Then he swooped down and kissed her without hesitation.
His lips lingered on hers for a long moment. At last Will could see his head rising.
She didn't move.
The happiness on Charles's face fell. His lips parted, saying something, but it was too quiet for Will to hear.
He slammed his fist on the pedistool.
"NO!"
Will took a step back.
"No no, this cannot--" Charles set his face with determination. "No. I've come too far. This has to work. This has to."
He bent over the princess and kissed her. Two times. Three times. Four five six seven.
But she still laid there, still as stone.
Charles's shoulders sagged. He walked to the other side of the pedistool and gradually sank to the floor. When he was sure that he wasn't going to stand up, Will relaxed and walked up the steps.
He was able to really, truly see her once he reached the top. Smooth, cocoa-colored hands rested on her stomach, which was covered by a regal, pale gold dress. Black curls framed her closed eyes. The princess looked as though she were asleep.
But the problem was, she'd been like this for nearly half a century, and Will figured that people didn't ordinarily sleep that long.
He walked around the princess and shortly discovered his brother sitting on the ground with his head hanging.
"I've failed," he said.
Will snorted. "You sure did."
Charles glared at him.
"Oh. Sorry."
The eighteen-year-old sighed. "The thing is, I've come so far, farther than any of those scumbag princes and nobles ever did."
"Do you mean 'we'?"
He ignored him. "I actually made it here alive, so that'd make me the worthiest, right? Then, in the spirits' name, why didn't the kiss work?"
Will considered this.
"Maybe it's because you don't love her."
Charles stared at him as though he were mad. "Don't be ridiculous. Sleeping curses such as this have been around for a while, and none of them required the kiss to be from someone the victim actually loved."
He stared at Will until he shrank away.
Then Charles sighed again. "This was supposed to solve everything," he said quietly. "Awaken her, marry her, become a hero, maybe even a king. However it went, our family's honor would have finally been restored."
Will shrugged and sat down next to him. "Yes, that would have been nice." He twisted his face and looked straight ahead. "But I reckon honor's not the most important thing in life, no matter how much nobles try to make it appear that way."
Charles was silent for a long moment. Then, somehow, he smiled.
"Will?"
"Hmm?"
"Perhaps you have a brain inside that thick skull of yours after all."
"You should see my brother's. His skull is even thicker."
Both of them turned to face each other. Charles chortled, and Will's laughter followed suit.
"Well, there's no use staying here any longer," Charles said once they were done. He stood up, and suddenly he was back to the older brother that Will knew and sort of loved.
"Yeah." Will stood as well. "It's about time we go home."
"I look forward to seeing their faces when I tell them that I actually got here." Charles's smile only got wider. "Come on, that's more than anyone else can say."
"You mean when you tell them that 'we' actually got here."
"Yes, whatever you say."
Oh, he was definitely back.
Will did one last thing as he and Charles walked back to where he had tied the horse.
He stopped walking, then he turned around.
The princess was looked as cold as ever. But as peaceful as ever, too.
"Sleep well, Your Highness."
He looked at the face for a good while.
He'd remember that face until he crossed her path again.

"You rise with the moon, I rise with the sun."

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

Currently Reading: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Currently Watching: The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Awake - A Sleeping Beauty Retelling Empty Re: Awake - A Sleeping Beauty Retelling

Post by Mythie on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:47 am

I loved that Smile

Mythie
Epic Creator
Epic Creator

Back to top Go down