FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS
STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
» Irongale ♕ [RP THREAD]
Today at 3:27 pm by WritingBookworm

» {RP THREAD} The Divine
Today at 9:13 am by Salphirix

» Harwell's Institute for the Fairly Exceptional
Today at 12:12 am by Lady Senbonzakura

» Infinity's Row 2: The Puppetmaster ☾ [ROLEPLAY THREAD]
Yesterday at 7:41 pm by Shaybaysasuke

» Camp Half-Blood [ROLEPLAY THREAD]
Tue May 22, 2018 11:15 pm by boyhoy

» [APP THREAD] Superior RPG
Tue May 22, 2018 10:47 pm by NightOwl

» Harwell's Fan Thread!
Tue May 22, 2018 3:39 am by WritingBookworm

» {APP THREAD} The Divine
Sat May 19, 2018 10:22 pm by Salphirix

» ☆ Superior ☆ [Roleplay Thread]
Fri May 18, 2018 5:51 pm by Shaybaysasuke

May 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Guide to RPG Character Creation

Go down

Guide to RPG Character Creation

Post by Neela on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:45 pm

This guide is a copy of the guide made by Widow Sirens. She has given me permission to post it here and I think it'll be a great benefit to any new and maybe even old roleplayers! 

This will basically be just a dissection of your average RPG form.

Name
I've never seen any problems with this before, but don't make your name too long, 2 parts should be enough, 3-4 is pushing it. In some roleplays, it's fine to go without a last name.

Same as above, it's hard to mess this up, just make sure that your appearance matches your characters age and the scenario of the RPG. Don't have a 9 year old living in the forest alone, unless they have some kind of guardian such as a parent or older sibling.

Looks
Also like the last 2, i've seen few problems with this. Some use anime pictures, some use real photos, some use timierme or tek-tek's, nothing wrong with any of those.  But, if it's a reality rpg, don't have angel wings, vampire fangs, cat ears, etc.

Personality
Finally, we're on to something I can offer advice about! First off, don't list your little heart away. Yes, it's a very common thing and perfectly fine if your using 10 or less adjectives, but were you start using so many that it looks like a paragraph, then we have a problem.
As an example, let's describe a 15-year old girl named Katie by listing; Nice, thoughtful, smart, athletic, helpful.

Now, let's take the same girl and describe her by using sentences; Katie is a very kind person, she likes helping tutor students after school, since she's has A's in most of her classes. She's a cheerleader, captain at that, and often brings her little sister to practice.
As you can see, the sentences read better and offer more information than listing, a little extra typing never hurt anybody. Of course, the extra info could also be given in the biography section.

Character development is another matter, for example, if you're apart of an RPG  that goes on for 1000+ posts or has a squeal, it's very possible that your character will change.
I can recall a character I made went I first joined this section, the same RPG also had 2 squeals, it's very realistic to have a cocky and rude 13 year old make friends and slowly mature throughout 3 years.

Now, back to the basics. Don't make your character 2-dimensional, he/she shouldn't always be happy or stone cold. They should have highs and lows, smile, cry, laugh, etc. But every character should have a 'demeanor'. Whether they're shy, social, serious, or the general nice guy, these aspects of their personality should remain every as they develop, though it can lessen. A shy character won't suddenly be a socialite just because someone was nice to them.

Bio
Another thing I can give advice on! Alright, let's start with the cliche puppykicked backstory. It's rather common, we've all seen it or done it at least once, and usually it's fine to do. However, it's does get annoying if every character you make has it. I know that some think that a normal backstory is boring, but honestly, it doesn't really come into play with the actual roleplaying.
In many fantasy or power-based RP's, it's acceptable.
However, if it's another reality-based or normal highschool roleplay, please try to have a normal background. Divorced parents, foster child or even legally independent child is fine.

Other
This is often added to the end of every form. It can be used to add random information like hobbies or your characters preference of cats. Sometimes the RPG creator may request that people put a certain word or phrase in this section to make sure that said person read the RPG's rules.

Alright, now that we've covered the basics, we can move on to stuff that appears in some roleplays but not in others. I'll only be doing the most common ones.

Weapon
Fairly common, and easy section to fill out. There's really no limits to this, whether your character wants to use a sword, dagger, ax, scythes or whatever, it usually works. Some characters use their superpowers as weapons, and that's fine too, you don't need to use both.

Power
A typical section in any fantasy roleplay. I have no notes on this for the most part. Some RP's only allow certain powers, so please respect the RPG's makers by following them. Don't be Omnipotent.

Race
When this is a part in any form, it's usually talking about stuff like vampires, angels, aliens, or any type of creature other than a human. Like my advice on superpowers, I don't have much to offer except to follow the rules of the RPG's creator. If it's a roleplay about a human/alien war, don't be a werewolf.
Cross breeds are another issue, most roleplayers are fine with it, but if two species have been in a 1000 year war, the chance of two falling in love is very slim and probably wouldn't happen.

Weakness/Strength's
Please make sure that these are balanced, you can't be awesome at everything and weak to only 1 thing (Yes, I know superman does this but it doesn't mean you have to). I'd say that 3-6 in each slot is good, there usually isn't need to go over that.

And we are finished! I'd like to thank everyone for taking time to read this and veteran roleplayers that helped me and others improve over the years. The characters are the foundation of any roleplay, next to the plot. If you need any help on how to do the actual roleplaying, I suggest you check out the stickied guides found in our section.

Happy roleplaying!

Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum