FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS

STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
» « Asphodel »
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptyToday at 1:05 pm by Sal

» Harwell’s Institute for the Fairly Exceptional II
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 1:17 am by WritingBookworm

» {RP THREAD} The Divine
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 pm by WritingBookworm

» Asphodel: The Application Thread
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 2:11 pm by Captain Whitehawk

» charybdis' whirlpool
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 9:58 pm by Sal

» Serpent King ⊱ RP THREAD ⊰
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 11:28 am by Shaybaysasuke

» Serpent King ⊱ APP THREAD ⊰
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:04 pm by WritingBookworm

» Soulblade [Roleplay Thread]
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 pm by Comrade Squid

» On Creating a Roleplay
Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 11:34 pm by Athena Lionheart

September 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels)

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 Empty Re: Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels)

Post by Michael DeathFlame on Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Chase: Yes, until next time. There better be a next time. Because it’s unacceptable that he’s leaving without a fucking scratch. Finally I allow my back to slump completely into my chair, leaning my head and stare at the black freckles of the wooden ceiling.

Emily’s movement goes unnoticed until I hear the chair slide just a tad, creaking under her weight as she sits down. “What’d you do to get whipped by a Zeidan?”

She’s smart enough to keep any hint of amusement out of her voice; I glance at her face to be sure she kept it away from there too. I return my attention back to one of the larger spots on the ceiling. “Apparently something he didn’t like.” A minute or two of silence follows before it’s interrupted by the chair again, followed by the door to the bedroom opening and closing.

My hand settles against my hip, searching for a cherry but instead glancing over the straps of my gun. I knew Lucian wouldn’t put up enough of a fight to require a firearm. Need be, I could handle him myself. But I kept my gun unstrapped anyway, just in case I wanted it. I was right to keep it tucked away at my hip while he was here. Yet my teeth still clench for a moment before finding what I was looking for, tossing two cherries in my mouth to give my teeth something to chew.

Soon, the war will begin. It came too early, but the war it's here nonetheless. And I’ll be the one leading it. Even if the coup fails, it’ll only be a matter of time before the Keep and the Dasilvas fall. Aspernor will finally be on fire, and it’s only going to spread further from here.

But for now I slouch in my chair, rolling the third cherry between my fingers, eyes constantly flicking back at my unstrapped gun.

Michael DeathFlame
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

http://Wizard101central.com

Back to top Go down

Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels) - Page 12 Empty Re: Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels)

Post by WritingBookworm on Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:16 pm

- Luke - 

“Lucian.” After a moment’s pause, Therese amends, “Luke. It feels like it’s been forever since I’ve seen you.”

I can’t explain what I feel as she forces her shadows back. She looks even worse than when I last saw her; she had dark crescents under her eyes a week ago, but now they’re even more pronounced. Her hair, now in a high ponytail as opposed to the usual pigtails, is more frayed at the edges, and her frame seems just a bit thinner. She looks like a victim, but at the same time, I can’t unassociate her face with all she’s done.

No, I can explain what I feel. I just don’t want to.

I try to smile. “The hair’s different.”

“Oh?” She pulls her ponytail over her shoulder, fingering through the strands of her hair. “Yeah. I had it up in pigtails before because someone said they suited me. I decided they didn’t. And this is, well, it’s more practical.” She squints past my shoulder. “You can let go of the staff, you know. I’m not going to try to kill you.”

I hadn’t even realized I’d been clutching my weapon. But sure enough, my knuckles are already whitening from clutching the staff behind my back. One by one, I pry my fingers off of it and put my arm back down to my side. I flex my fingers even after I’ve already let go, trying to work the tension from them. “How’d you know I was here?” I ask.

“Chase told me you were in town. He said he was planning to meet with you. I didn’t want you to know I was here, at first, but then I saw your white coat and followed you here. You should really try to be less inconspicuous.”

“I should probably tell you the same.” I look over my shoulder, making sure no one’s watching us. We’re in a derelict corner of Mars, though, and no one’s around. I don’t see anyone peeking through the apartment windows, either. I think we might be safe. I think. I look back to Therese. “Why’re you here? I thought you were in Acritudo.”

“Right now I’m just . . . “ She shrugs. “If a leg’s broken, don’t keep walking unless you heal the leg. I’m broken. I can’t do anything unless I heal myself.”

“I’m glad you’re trying to do that,” I say, and though my smile doesn’t meet my eyes, I’m truthful when I say that. “I know you’ve been through a lot.”

“That’s one way to put it. How are you? How’s Jezebel?”

“As well as I can be. Jezebel’s doing fine. She’s been a little restless lately, but she’s otherwise fine.” I’m not going to mention Jezebel’s Persistence Trait. That’s her story to tell, not mine. Even if I could, I wouldn’t feel comfortable bringing it up to Therese. “She’s angry with you, though.”

“I’d imagine.” Therese folds her arms. “So are you, it seems.”

“I’m not —“

“Oh, don’t lie to me, Luke,” she says. “I hate it when people lie to me.”

“I’m not trying to . . .” I sigh. I turn on my foot, take a few steps away from Therese. I look up at the sky, trying to clear my head or somehow expel this growingly restless feeling inside.

I can’t. I turn back around. “What’d you expect?” I finally say. “You sent Ikam after the Redemption! My friends could have been killed! Jezebel or Aila could have been killed!”

“And you could have killed Cha—!” She holds her tongue. I don’t know why, but she holds it.

Still, it’s enough to get me to wince. “I know. I realize that was wrong. More than wrong. There’s nothing I’ll ever be able to make amends for that, so go ahead, be angry with me as much as you’d like. But just because you’re angry with me doesn’t mean I can’t also be angry with you, Therese. That time you stabbed me? Yeah, I deserved that. But you also shot Jezebel! Hurt Aila! And just when you gained Sorrow — just when I thought you were starting to change — you don’t. You sent Ikam after the Redemption. That displaced several Acritudian refugees and ended up with hundreds killed, on both sides! When the hell will this end, Therese?”

“I was trying to help Acritudo—“

“It’s practically on fire! And sure, the Redemption is struggling, but the siege on Poena didn’t help in the slightest. If you’re trying to help Acritudo, then it backfired. Awfully.”

Therese growls, “I already told you, I’m taking myself out of action for a while.”

“And what happens after that?” I snap. “Why should I believe you’re not going to try to go after the throne again? Hurt the Redemption? I already believed you would stop once, and look where we both are now.”

“I’m not going after it anymore!” Less growling now, more desperation. “I’ve recognized that going after the throne is futile. I know I’m in no position to lead it.”

“Yeah, and why is that? Because you actually had a change of heart?” I narrow my eyes. “Or is it because Ikam packed up and gave your army to me?”

A flash of silver, and I don’t recognize that Therese has pulled out her dagger until she’s leveled the tip at my throat. I scramble back, withdrawing my staff and holding it front of me in a defensive position.

I tighten my grip, braced for the battle that will surely ensue, because it’s always come down to this between us. How’s Therese gonna attack? Is she going to throw the dagger? Is she going to charge me head-on? Will she use Cruelty to try to incapacitate me, and then go in with the blade?

She doesn’t do any of that. The pinched anger on her face comes undone, and she lowers her weapon. It hangs from her side, her shadow ever-darkening. “You don’t know the half of it, Luke.”

“Probably not.” I slowly put the staff away and take a deep breath. “I’m sorry. If you mean it, if you’re really wanting to just start anew, then you should be able to have that chance. I met with Chase. We struck a deal, and part of it was that required the Redemption granting you full amnesty.”

“But that comes from Chase.” Her shadow is as black as pitch. It looks like a large ink stain smeared across the alley wall. “Not from you. I was hoping you’d be the one to fight for me.”

And I have. The Redemption never killed you because I’ve intervened, several times. I know I’ve hurt you in the past, but I promise I do love you, and I’ve tried to make up for it by protecting you now. But I can’t say that without sounding desperate or defensive or pathetic. And maybe because . . . maybe because it’s a little irrelevant now.

“You’ve lost all hope in me,” Therese says quietly. “Haven’t you?”

I can’t bring myself to lie. But I’m too scared to say the truth, too. Or at least, in a verbal sense. Judging by the way she shakes her head, my silence tells her enough.

“I should have guessed.” She’s not angry. Just resigned. She lifts her chin. “In that case, I don’t have anything else to say to you. Make sure you get back to Acritudo safely.”

“Wait, Therese.” I dart forward, but she’s back in the apartment building, door swinging behind her. I pick up my pace, forcing the door open. I swing it back open, revealing the foot of a staircase that climbs to the top of the building. There’s also a door next to it, presumably leading to a hall in the ground floor.

Where did she go? I run up a few steps on the staircase, feet clanging against the metal. “Therese?” I don’t see her up there. I hop back down and run over to the other door. The hall that unfurls before me is a desolate place of gray concrete.

I can’t find her, and she wouldn’t want to be found. Numbly, I walk myself back outside.

“I love you,” I say into the dark. But love isn’t enough.

"I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, and likewise the road to ruin."

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

Currently Reading: The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
Currently Watching: Titans
WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael DeathFlame on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Monica: It was loud, like a million gunshots going off at the same time, like the skies had finally fallen with a rush and a roar. Everything else went quiet all at once, I turned north towards the Keep like everyone else, and for a second the world froze over as smoke and flames gushed out of a hole in the Keep.

The Keep is on fire.

Even after I found Vaelus, even after running straight into the smoke and gunfire, even after blowing Vitali’s crotch halfway across the room, that thought kept blaring at me. The Keep is on fire. And Chase lit it. I stumble behind Vaelus, handgun trembling in my hand, Vitali’s blood still soaking through my pants, wading through the mess that Chase made. There were bodies everywhere – Inquisitors, guards, even prisoners – and even as we rushed through the halls I looked at every one of them. I came in here to help Chase. And I was going to, even if that meant getting his body out of here-

“Dove!”

That shout eases all the tension that’s been building up since the Keep lit up. Chase sprints towards me and nearly throws me off my feet when he hugs me. “I told you to stay! What the hell are you doing here?” He looks away at Vaelus, his grip on me tightening.

“It’s okay, he’s fine. He helped me.” I take a quick look around us, searching for a black uniform or another gunshot. But I don’t see or hear anything. There’s three people with Chase – Selvyn, Cei, and some brunette girl I’ve never met, maybe a few years older than me, definitely not Aspernori – but aside from them, we’re alone.

Chase holds Vaelus’s stare for a moment before nodding curtly. “Motley and the Warlord survived. We need to leave to the city.”

Vaelus cocks his rifle in response. “I’m hoping there’s an escape route in mind.”

“There is.” Chase breaks out of the hug, but keeps a firm hold on one of my hands as we start moving again. “There’s a car waiting for us and the others.” We move past Vaelus, picking up our pace as we head towards the stairs. “Some friends can keep the city limits open for a little while longer, but we need to-”

There’s a crack, the explosion of a rifle blast behind us.

And then a burst of red sprays out of Chase’s chest.

I open my mouth to scream but freeze instead, and for the second time today the rest of the world does too. I feel Chase’s hand go rigid in mine, see his hand clutch the jagged, ugly hole in his chest. His eyes flick over to Vaelus, rifle still smoking in his hands; then to the brunette; then finally to me. All I can see are his pupils, two black holes just as big as the one in his chest, engulfing the blues of his irises and the rest of his face, leaving nothing behind except a look of pure, desperate panic.

And then the world starts moving again, gravity takes hold of him, his fingers slip out of mine, and he falls. His body tumbles down the stairs, limp and broken, before coming to a smashing halt against the door below. And even as Vaelus’s rifle cocks to shoot again, even as the others start screaming, I don’t move. I can’t. All I can do is stand at the top of the stairs, my hand holding empty air, staring down at my dad as he bleeds out on the steps of the Keep.

“Dove. Dove? Monica?” I pinch my eyebrows together, and when I turn to look at Chase the colors of the room kind of blur together.

“What?”

“That’s enough. You’re getting woozy again.” I look down at my hands clasped over his chest, and even though every lamp and candle we could find is lit in the room I can still see Compassion trickling out of my hands. I squint my eyes and try to force them to see through the migraine building behind them. After a second his chest comes into focus, the ugly black and blue mark just below his heart staring right back at me.

“It’s still there,” I mumble, “I can keep going.” I close my eyes and try to put myself back in that moment in the car, driving away from the Keep, cuddled over Chase just to keep him alive for a few more seconds-

The world moves around me funny before it stops. When I open my eyes the room is sloped on a weird angle, and when I look down I find out why. I’m slumped over to the right, butt nearly completely off my chair. Chase’s grip on my shoulder is the only thing keeping me from dropping to the ground like a sack of bricks.

I grunt and push myself away, righting myself back into my chair before slumping against it. “Sorry.” I blink three times, but that doesn’t get the fog out of my eyes. “Hate was never this hard. I didn’t realize-”

“I know. I understand.” He sits up from his bed slowly, a grimace shooting across his face as he positions himself against the headboard. “You’ve already healed the worst of it; I’m not in danger of dying anymore. You don’t need to do this to the point of exhaustion.”

“I do though.” Maybe if I wasn’t so tired I’d keep my mouth shut, but the words just leak out of me instead. “I shouldn’t have went with Vaelus. I lead him right to you.” Maybe if I wasn’t so tired I wouldn’t cry either, but tears leak out too, and I can barely choke out, “I could’ve killed you, you would’ve died and I’d-”

“No.” He grabs me again, but this time it’s to pull me in closer, to wrap me into him. I bury my face into his shoulder away from his bad side, but I can still hear him say, “Vaelus shot me, not you. You, on the other hand, saved my life. Do you understand that, Monica?” I nod my head, because I know that’s what he wants me to do. “We’ll be fine. It will be difficult, but we’ll be fine.” He’s quiet for a bit before he presses his face against the side of my head. By the time I realize he’s kissing me he’s already drawn back. “I promise.”

“Okay.” I don’t know if he can promise that, but it’s nice to think that he can. When I let go of him a few minutes later I’ve stopped crying, I feel less crappy, and the world isn’t spinning as much as it was. But I’m still exhausted. “I’m gonna go. Just yell if you need something.”

“I’m not that useless. I can still walk.” He nods, though. “Thank you. Get some rest, now.”

Michael DeathFlame
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:55 pm

- Therese - 

I start the night in a mask. A plain, white mask, too easily marred by ash and blood splatters. By the end of the night, it’s pointless. 

Even through it, I meet Chase’s pupils. I feel the ghost of everything he does — the pain, the fear, the panic. He’s that fourteen year old boy all over again. But this time, he’s dying. 

“CHASE!” I run to his side, ripping off the mask. I don’t care if the rest of the world sees me as long as Chase does. 

His blood rapidly soaks my hands. He’s dying. Dying, just like Dad and Leyland and Alexis, and he’ll be gone just like anyone else I’ve ever cared about — 

I snap my head up when I hear a rifle cocking. I jump up, turning around to find that Vaelus bastard with his rifle poised for one more shot. 

I can’t think. All I know is that if someone will take Chase Spiterwetch from me, then I sure as hell will have fun tearing him apart. 

The bullet freezes in the air before it can even get halfway there. With a sunny smile, I redirect it into Vaelus’s leg. He gasps in pain, and he is falling to one knee while I am rising up the steps faster than lightning. I take him by the throat and smash him into the ground, his head striking the ground.

It’s enough to daze him, but not enough to kill him. How utterly convenient for me. Even though he looks like he’s barely hanging onto consciousness, Vaelus scrambles for his rifle. 

I kick it out of his reach, my foot striking him in the ribs. And while he’s too dazed to speak, I seize him by the collar of his shirt, forcing him up to his feet. 

“If I had it my way,” I hiss, “I would torture you until you forgot your own name. Sadly, I don’t have that kind of time. So I guess I’ll just have to settle for this.” 

Vaelus is shouting something. I don’t care what it is, but I inflict a round of pain on him just because I want him to shut up. He struggles, but he is dazed and wounded, and I happen to be feeling just a teensy, tiny bit vengeful.

The burning fiire that devours the keep would be kinder to him than I would ever be. So frankly, he should be counting his lucky stars that it is the heat of the fire that destroys him instead of me. As much as I’d just love to toss him straight into the fire and watch the flames leave nothing but a skeleton behind, I don’t want to give him any opportunity to run. So instead, I just opt for finding one of the walls of the keep — not directly on fire, but still scorching hot, still blistering and blackening. I slam Vaelus’s head against that wall, smiling at the way the wall’s temperature scorches half of his face off. 

~ ~ ~ 

I pace in the living room. Back and forth. Back and forth. Across and to the side. I should be tired. I even tried to sleep. But tonight, my eyes have never shut for long. 

Chase’s ward — Monica? — was healing him, last I checked. She’s been at his side for quite some time now. I should be patient. Patience is what I need. 

It’s also what I don’t have. I redirect my route away from the couch and go to the door to his room instead, unleashing my knuckles against it.

"I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, and likewise the road to ruin."

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael DeathFlame on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:19 am

Chase: Before the last knock sounds I have my gun in hand, snatched cleanly off the nearby bedside table. Dove, on the other hand, seems too tired to be alarmed. "It's probably Therese." She wipes her sleeve over her eyes, ridding some of the red and tear trails from her face. "She wanted to see you earlier."

"Ah. Yes, perhaps." Still, my eyes shoot over to the windows, the drapes and blinds both drawn. Every light and candle in the room is lit, and every window or crack has been sealed, and yet nevertheless I still look for any shadow of an onlooker. Adam's camp would not receive Dove's newfound abilities as kindly as I did. "You can open the door," I say, placing the gun back on the table - still in reach, if necessary.

But it isn't. After undoing three different locks, Dove opens the door and gives a small smile at the royal standing behind it. "I'm sorry, Ms. Zeidan. You can come in, I'm just leaving now."

Michael DeathFlame
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:00 am

- Therese -

“Thank you.” I resist the urge to look past her shoulder, zeroing in on the bags under her eyes. Monica looks tired. She’s like Jezebel: too much weariness for someone her age.

Maybe it’s that reminder that makes me try to smile at her, despite our limited conversations. “You’ve done a lot of good. You deserve the rest.”

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael DeathFlame on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 am

Chase: Dove smiles again, a smile I've seen on her face before. It's more courtesy than it is genuine, a performative expression she puts on when she meets my Inquisitors or the Warlord. "Thank you, ma'am. I will." She slides past Therese to make the short trek to her room.

I watch her go, only looking away when her door closes behind her. ""It seems you're a 'ma'am,' now. Welcome to being elderly."

Michael DeathFlame
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:35 am

- Therese - 

“Something of a downgrade from ‘your highness,’ but I’ll take it.” I sit down close to him, looking at his chest. There’s hardly trace of the bloodied hole that had once ran him through.

“Her Compassion is strong,” I mutter. Even with her Hate, it’s comparable to the kind of healing Luke did on me when he first healed me all those years ago.

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael DeathFlame on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:43 am

Chase: "It's been a long time coming." I tug my blue shirt over the wound. "I did what I could to help her keep her Hate on top. But Traits can't be suppressed forever."

Michael DeathFlame
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 am

- Therese -

“No. They really can’t.” I know that better than anyone. “The more you try to repress a Trait, the stronger it’ll become.”

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum