FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS

STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
» « Asphodel »
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptyToday at 12:20 am by Lady Senbonzakura

» Serpent King ⊱ APP THREAD ⊰
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:04 pm by WritingBookworm

» Serpent King ⊱ RP THREAD ⊰
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 am by Shaybaysasuke

» Soulblade [Roleplay Thread]
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 pm by Comrade Squid

» On Creating a Roleplay
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 11:34 pm by Athena Lionheart

» Irongale ♕ [RP THREAD]
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 5:46 pm by boyhoy

» Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels)
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm by Michael DeathFlame

» Asphodel: The Application Thread
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 9:51 pm by Captain Whitehawk

» Harwell’s Institute for the Fairly Exceptional II
LIMINAL Discussion Thread EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 3:19 pm by Adrian

July 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

LIMINAL Discussion Thread

Go down

LIMINAL Discussion Thread Empty LIMINAL Discussion Thread

Post by Adrian on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:13 am

LIMINAL Discussion Thread Limina12

Even though I'm making a Discord server for this, I'm still going to post a discussion thread here on the forum. That way, it's a lot easier for latecomers to understand how the Marches will work, and so we have quick reference whenever we need it. Feel free to post your own plot development stuff, as well as anything else involving LIMINAL! I have my own write-up, discussing Lacuna, coming up shortly, and more to come.

Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

http://bit.ly/JxlCjs

Back to top Go down

LIMINAL Discussion Thread Empty Re: LIMINAL Discussion Thread

Post by Adrian on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 am

LIMINAL Discussion Thread Lacuna10

"It's not much, but it's home."

Founded: Unknown
Inhabitants: Unknown
Portals: 1

THE BASICS

A hodge-podge of many different machines, dwellings, and people, Lacuna is a home (temporary or permanent) for those who seek refuge from more dangerous forces. While the people here may have allegiances to different groups, all who are willing to live in relative harmony with one another are welcome, so long as they do not betray Lacuna to the Dark Confluence.

Built around the wreckage of a mysterious, triangular starcraft, Lacuna seems to be older than the eldest inhabitants. Nobody knows where it comes from, but its magical properties apparently come from the starcraft that it is built around. It can inexplicably expand its borders to accommodate people and their belongings (as well as whatever other structures are needed), has arable land for farming, and bears a working portal that can take willing travelers to where they need to go, and vice versa.

Lacuna works with the will of the people - whatever is needed will be provided. It’s impossible to say exactly how this magic works. Or if it even is magic. But whatever is the case, Lacuna is one of the few discovered places that seems to be a safeguard against the threats of the Marches.

Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 pm

LIMINAL Discussion Thread Time_l10

"Time isn't really on our side here. It's not on anybody's side, actually. It's more like it took one look at this wretched place and sang 'Hell naw.'"

While the typical 24-hour-day cycle still applies in the Marches, each day is divided into 12 hours of daylight, and 12 hours of darkness. So, from 6:01AM to 6:00PM would be considered the daytime, and 6:01PM to 6:00AM would be considered night time.

Dividing these days into weeks, months, and years is a little trickier. For example, seasons in the Marches depend on where you are. Some places don’t have much of a spring or fall, especially since there’s no axial tilt in an infinite plane of reality. Ultimately calendars depend on the individual. It’s reasonable that most people would adhere to the Gregorian style, since it’s quite prevalent in most of these RPGs anyways.

Living beings (re: your characters) do not physically age in the Marches. Whatever age they were upon arriving, that is how old they will be. Forever. However, physical structures like buildings are still prone to decay, especially with weathering.

Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:47 am

Planning on getting the RP thread up sometime this weekend! Stay tuned Smile

LIMINAL Discussion Thread Tdk_li10

“They don’t really have a concept of friends. More like ‘resources.’ Only an absolute fool would try to befriend or ally with them.”

“Members”: ∞
Range: ∞(?)

Each world seems to have some innate fear of the dark. It’s not just about the absence of light, of course - it’s about what is lurking behind it. It’s truly the fear of the unknown. This is how the Dark Confluence gains its power.

The Dark Confluence is a collective of sentient forces that are easily recognizable by their nightshade-like skin and their intense hatred of anything harboring Light (that is, any living thing that isn’t a part of the Dark Confluence, no matter their creed). They are borne from pure unfettered negativity, thriving on shadow and lurking on the edges.

Members of the Dark Confluence (known as Darklings) are more likely to attack solitary victims, and especially in darkened places (including at night). Without sufficient experience, they can be very dangerous. It’s not technically possible to kill a Darkling - when defeated, they explode in a puff of dark dust, quickly dissipating into ether and reforming on the edge of reality, waiting for the next chance to strike. However, they can be kept at bay with a strong enough group of people.

Not a whole lot is currently known about them. Those that survive encounters with the Dark Confluence know that it’s not really a hive-mind, because each Darkling has a mind of its own. It doesn’t help that each Darkling thinks pretty much the same way, though. They come in various types:

Dark Squalls: Not really a Darklet, though they are pseudo-sentient. They typically precede and/or coincide with the presence of Darklings. Dark Squalls are nightlike storms, and can be quite destructive if allowed to go on for too long.

Darklets: Your baseline progeny of the Dark Confluence. These come in the form of modern (and sometimes historical/prehistoric) animals, herbivores and carnivores alike. They’re quite vicious and hostile regardless of what they eat, so don’t let their shapes fool you. Despite their danger, they’re about as intelligent as the animal they take the form of.

Hinterdark: These are Darklings that take on the form of mythical creatures. As such, their dangerousness and intelligence tends to be on a broad scale. A subset of Darklets.

Alterdark: Alterdark are Darklings that take the form of a particular character. They are very rare, and will only manifest if a character is feeling enough negative emotion or is behaving too negatively. While they can harm other people, they only pose a major threat to the character whose form they are taking after. Skin to skin contact will annihilate both the Alterdark and the character they are targeting, sort of like matter and antimatter. They have the intelligence and skills of the character they take after, and are only distinguishable by their inky complexion.

Dark Barons: Dark Barons are the most sapient kind of Darklings, though they can have varying appearances. They have some control over Darklets and even Dark Squalls, though they have little to no influence over Alterdarks. It’s almost impossible to find one, and if one does discover a Dark Baron, it’s often the last mistake they ever make.

Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:19 am

LIMINAL Discussion Thread Death_10

“O Death, Won’t you spare me over ‘til another year?”

In your average reality, when you die, you die. Your soul might go on to another plane of existence, like hell or something, but the typical rule (with some exceptions) is you can’t really go back to being alive. The border between the living and the dead is fairly cut and dry.

In the Marches, death is not guaranteed to be permanent. It’s literally up to the person controlling the character. It’s not necessarily like respawning in a video game, in that you can’t just simply /kill when you’re in a sticky situation. It could take a while to come back (if at all), you might not even be in the place you want to be, you might not even retain any belongings or memories.

Basically what I’m saying is that permadeath isn’t the only option here. You can bring a character back if you want. The ramifications for that are up to you, because in the Marches, even the concept of death is enigmatic. But don’t kys only if you don’t like the situation your character is in because that’s kinda cheaty. If I find someone is abusing this in a certain way I’ll figure out some limits.

If you have any questions about anything at all, let me know! I'm sure there's something I need to clarify (particularly because most of these posts I write late at night).

Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:18 am

LIMINAL Discussion Thread Makers10
"One of the few places in the multiverse where self-inserts aren't immediately frowned upon."

Makers (also known as Architects, RPers, or practically anything else) are self-inserts that appear in Liminal. In other words, they are the role-player, but in character form.

Makers can manifest in an infinite number of ways. They might not appear as they actually do in our reality (AKA real life), but rather as a kind of avatar. Regardless, they're always aware of the nature of the RPG they're in, and typically have powers that set themselves above other regular characters, such as creation/deletion, inter-dimensional transport, omnipresence, etc.

Some Makers exist as plot devices. Some exist as their own character, with a story line set out for themselves. They might even be in the Marches just for fun, to see how things play out.

Makers are typically bound by one main rule: No alteration without permission. That is, any concept belonging to another Maker (whether they have a self-insert or not) cannot be changed or removed by another Maker without the owner's permission. This includes death, creation (of other people's characters), control of other characters or events made by others, and other severe actions. The key is ownership: if it doesn't belong to you, best leave it alone unless you get permission. Repeat offenders will be banished from the RPG, and by extension the Marches.

Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down