FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS
STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
September 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Magnus Chase-esque RPG?

Go down

Magnus Chase-esque RPG?

Post by Adrian on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 am

Okay.

This is probably going to be damaging to my productivity, especially considering the fact that I have two other RPGs I need to kick off storylines for, and a third that I'm attempting to hop back in. But I figured I'm already strung out so let's see how long my mental strain can go on for.

This idea has been boiling around in my head for ages, even before our good ol' buddy Riordan released the Gods of Asgard series (albeit it was totally different since, of course, I had no idea what his interpretation of a "Norse camp" would be). Now, having read the first two books out of the Magnus Chase series, I feel even more compelled to bring this RPG idea to life, because honestly, it's pretty damn neat.

For the sake of story line and for those who haven't yet read the series yet, I'll put the general run down in a spoiler because, y'know, spoilers. They're not super major spoilers but, enough to warrant a spoiler button - mainly because it involves a death.

THE RUN DOWN (SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY):
So if you've read the first book (or you haven't but you don't mind learning this now), you understand that Magnus Chase dies in like the first chapter and goes to "Hotel Valhalla," where all the other spirits go to train for Ragnarok and basically spend eternity as einherji.

That's basically what I had planned for this RPG - like Camp Half-Blood, but you don't have to be a demigod (you do, however, have to be dead). You could be a regular kid from Idaho, or a young soldier from Japan or a hunter who lived in the plains of Africa. The only rule for being an einherjar is that you have to die a heroic death - sacrificng your life for someone or something else.

Alternatively, you could be a valkyrie if you so choose - a female warrior that can select einherjar and take them to Valhalla. Being a demigod isn't required for them either. But, they do have to be living.

All the original amenities of Hotel Valhalla carry over, including the epic battle they have every week (? I don't remember, I'll have to research it). I'll even try to think up a quest or two that requires going back out into Midgard (or perhaps one of the other 8 worlds?)

If you are interested, or have questions or comments, let me know. I'll likely select someone to help co-run this since 2017 is still continuing to be a major butthole, but I really like this idea, and hopefully it will come to life soon enough!

Site Rules | Banner Submission | IR | Evergreen
Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

http://bit.ly/JxlCjs

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnus Chase-esque RPG?

Post by Lady Senbonzakura on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:08 pm

I like what I hear so far! But I do want to know more, of course!
Lady Senbonzakura
Influential Creator
Influential Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhoy on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Same as Lady Sen, I like the concept but definitely want to know more. Not having read that series, I'm pretty clueless on the concept overall so once there's more information available, that'll help me a lot!

boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:28 pm

While I don't plan on reading the Magnus Chase books anytime soon (Rick Riordan's writing style just doesn't seem to jive with me anymore, sadly), I've always been super interested in Norse mythology, so this sounds like a good fit! I still need to do more research into this, but for now this looks interesting.

"One so impure of body and soul was deemed unworthy of the crystal's light, and forbidden to ascend."

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]
Currently Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Currently Watching: The Dragon Prince
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Comrade Squid on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Norse Mythology is the bomb. Like @WritingBookworm I haven't read the series you're referring to, so if this ends up being a straight adaption of that(like CHB) I'll probably pass. The idea's cool and all, but I feel kinda uncomfortable joining an RPG where I don't know the source material, but that's just my two scents.

I didn't play CHB so I can't comment on anything else. Still sounds fun though!

"...then maybe you should reevaluate your definition of stupidity."
Thank you Fix-it for the amazing signature!
Also, thank you so much ~Hermione~ for last year's awesome Marcel signature!
Comrade Squid
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:23 pm

I might join if I think of a cool char idea or find a cool Norse god to make a demigod child for, but we’ll see. Won’t write it off instantly at any rate

Influential Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kane on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:48 pm

I will wait for more info since I have not read the books but I am craving CHB and this is close to that I guess.

Honorary Patron
Honorary Patron

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:28 am

I'll definitely include as much information in the OP as possible. I know how it feels being left in the dark on information when it's pulled from a source, so I will keep things detailed. I will, however, provide some information on what's going on here (hopefully it's not too much of a word vomit):

EINHERJAR
Spoiler:
An einherjar (in-hair-yarr) is a fallen warrior - or, more broadly, anyone who died while committing an act of bravery and selflessness. Einherjar aren't necessarily demigods - many, if not most of them are just like you and me, mere mortals. They don't even have to be Nordic, despite this being the Norse afterlife.

Einherji (in-hair-yee) (the plural form) are the residents of Valhalla, the grand hall that houses fallen warriors and waits for Ragnarök - the end of the world. It is prophesized that most humans and even gods will die during this battle, so the einherji train constantly to prepare for this showdown.

New einherji are introduced every night (if available) in the Feast Hall of the Slain. While eating Saehrimnir (the beast slaughtered every day for food) and drinking from the horns of the stag Eikthrymir, all of Valhalla's inhabitants watch the final moments of each new resident, recorded by the einherjar's Valkyrie and displayed from the Tree of Laeradr.

After that, life is pretty much free reign - feel free to spar with fellow residents, earn a college degree (or 12), play games, etc. But be ready, because after the feast, it's time to strap yourself in and prepare for combat.

Yep, you'll literally be cutting and hacking at each other after dinner. Each night, all the einherjar meet in a vast, expansive room (complete with forests, lakes, villages and abandoned forts, etc.) to fight to the death. Your goal is quite simple - stay alive by any means necessary. If that means fending off attackers, so be it. If that means trying to kill everyone else you see, go for it! If you die, you won't regenerate until after the battle. There are no respawns in this fight - remember, you're training for the end of the world! Some nights, the thanes (lords of Valhalla, beneath Odin himself) will throw in some nasty beasts to spice things up.

Wanting to sneak out? Sure, there are ways to venture out into the mortal world as an einherjar... but do so with extreme caution. Valhalla is strict about sneaking out for a reason - if you die in the mortal world (again), you won't be coming back to the Hotel, no matter what. Instead, your essence will fall through the primordial void known as Ginnungagap and you'll be lost forever. The laws of death work in mysterious ways, and you'd find it best not to break them.

Einherji span all of time, from the most ancient of civilizations to the 21st century. They're also perhaps one of the most diverse crowds in the afterlife.

VALKYRIE
Spoiler:
Valkyries are Odin's handmaiden's - strictly female, their main task is to choose slain heroes to bring back to Valhalla. They also do other stuff such as serve food to the einherji, which is a great honor.

Valkyries can be demigods or mortal women - some valkyries do other mortal stuff such as work normal jobs, go to school, etc. But they typically must drop everything if they detect a hero is close to death.

Valkyrie possess two main magical objects - wings, which they can sprout at will, and a wristband that takes them immediately back to Valhalla in case of severe injury. They may also have other magical artifacts they use.

THE HOTEL
Spoiler:
THE HOTEL

Located in Boston (the magical epicenter of Yggdrasil, the world tree), Hotel Valhalla features 540 floors, with 540 doors leading to the nine worlds. Nobody is quite sure how many rooms there are – it might be endless.

OUTSIDE:
The Midgard entrance to Hotel Valhalla is located on Beacon Street in Boston, Massachusetts. From the outside it looks like an eight-story mansion of white-and-gray stone. The double front doors are made from dark heavy wood bound with iron, with a life-size wolf’s-head door knocker in the center of each wing. To prevent mortals and non-einherjar from trespassing, the hotel’s front garden is completely enclosed by a fifteen-foot-tall limestone wall with no entryway. The courtyard area behind the wall is called the Grove of Glasir, where birch trees with leaves of gold grow.

LOBBY

The lobby is a vast room, that features an acre of hardwood floor covered with various animal skins. Against the right wall of the lobby, there is a fireplace the size of a bedroom. Columns supporting the ceiling are made from rough-hewn tree trunks, and the ceiling itself is lined with spears for rafters. Polished shields gleam on the walls and the entire place seems to be illuminated from every direction. In the middle of the foyer, there is an announcement board displaying the activities for the day.

LOUNGE

One of the many lounges in Hotel Valhalla has sofas and fireplaces all around, with various activities such as card games, arcade machines, dice games, and Monopoly. Hunding (the doorman and bellhop) says the lounge is a "No Impaling" area.

THE FEAST HALL OF THE SLAIN

The hotel's dining area is the size of a concert hall, with a hundred doors circling the perimeter. Tiers of long tables curve downwards in a bowl-like manner, until they reach the center of the hall, where the Tree of Laeradr grows. In the tree live immortal animals, each assigned to a task. Somewhere high up in the tree lives a stag (Eikthrymir) whose horns spray out water that runs down the branches of Laeradr and falls into a pond at its roots.

RESIDENTIAL HALLS

The vaulted ceiling is twenty feet tall, lined with spears for rafters. There are torches burning in iron sconces on the walls, casting warm orange light onto the wall display of swords, shields and tapestries. The floor is laid with blood-red carpet that has tree-branch designs that move. Each room door is made from rough-hewn oak bound in iron, and set about fifty feet apart. There are no doorknobs or locks, as the rooms are personal afterlives which can be accessed with a dagaz rune. Each room has a nameplate the size of a plate, with a name surrounded by a ring of runes.

An einherjar’s room is unique to the resident – it represents the fallen warrior’s life, as well as their personality and interests. It is also regenerative, meaning anything destroyed will magically reappear within a few hours. Einherji that are “killed” in the Hotel always regenerate inside their room.

RELEVANT FLOORS:
12: Whitewater rafting
112: Spa
540: Top floor
Unknown floor: Oslo Room, where Single Combat to the Death is practiced.
Unknown floor: Stockholm Room, where Group Combat to the Death is practiced.
Unknown floor: Copenhagen Room, where Bikram Yoga to the Death is practiced.

Information pulled from the PJO Wiki. I am considering allowing non-einherjar (like elves and dwarves), but keep in mind they are typically barred from Hotel grounds. And even when non-einherjar are in Valhalla, they aren't immune from death because they haven't, you know, died yet.

Obviously, it's going to be an "alternate universe" style where none of the events of the book happened. It'll just be a bunch of undead peeps hanging out in the Hall of Fallen Warriors, waiting for the world to end (or will it). If you have any more questions, let me know and I will answer!

Site Rules | Banner Submission | IR | Evergreen
Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

http://bit.ly/JxlCjs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down