Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS
STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Keywords

Latest topics
» Harwell's Institute for the Fairly Exceptional
Yesterday at 10:55 pm by Lady Senbonzakura

» Irongale ♕ [RP THREAD]
Yesterday at 3:22 pm by Lady Senbonzakura

» Infinity's Row: Untold Stories
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 pm by WritingBookworm

» Naruto: Will of Fire [Applications Thread]
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:14 am by WritingBookworm

» Infinity's Row 2: The Puppetmaster ☾ [ROLEPLAY THREAD]
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:48 pm by Shaybaysasuke

» Irongale Fan Thread!
Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:06 pm by WritingBookworm

» Harwell's Fan Thread!
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:05 pm by Comrade Squid

» Seoulite[SGRP]
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:33 pm by Kane

» The World of Swords [SGRPG] [FULL]
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:38 am by Hero of Time

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Sentinel

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Sentinel

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Other religious holidays!

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:56 pm by Sentinel

*wipes sweat from brow* Whew, political correctness is a lot of hard work. But it has to be done.

ANYWAYS, we did it - we (almost) survived 2016 which, I think we can all agree, was pretty damn terrible in many ways.

Regardless, it was a good year on the forums - we've met some new faces, set out …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 2

Harwell's Institute for the Fairly Exceptional

Page 28 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Harwell's Institute for the Fairly Exceptional

Post by Shaybaysasuke on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:13 pm

~Adair~

Riada's fist just flew through the air as the man just dissapeared. I stared at the spot where he vanished and spun around to see everyone as confused as I was.

"I...I don't know." I said.

Riada just shrugged, looking pissed off that they just ran away like that.

"In this whole world, everything is the dream of the butterfly."
Shaybaysasuke
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

http://Teh-Random-Irish-Chick.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 am

"What do you mean?" Harwell said in her ear. "What's going on?"

The Martial swung her lower body up, locking her legs around the forked tongue squeezing her waist. "Just . . . send backup." With Herculean strength, she used her legs to rip the tongue off of her. "And hurry! The students are in imminent danger!"

She panted, having solved one problem. But the other . . .

The Martial looked forward. The bright orange glow of the blast stung her eyes.

She had the odd sensation that she was staring at her death.

Empathy . . . Matthew. I'm so sorry for leaving you.

She braced herself . . .

- Lucille -

Lightbringer makes brutally short work out of the men.

The men who aren't smart enough to recognize her face and cower back open fire on her. Lightbringer doesn't even move before the bullets just stop, hovering a foot away from her.

She telekinetically tosses the bullets aside. Another tilt of her head, and all of the weapons drop from the mens' grasps.

"Run!" Two of them bolt for the exit. The door swings shut, leaving them with nowhere to run.

A ray of light later, and they're blinded. Lightbringer sics herself upon them, and it's not pretty. She grabs one man by the shoulder, throws him up high enough so that  one of his bones crack against the ceiling. He hasn't finished falling to the ground before another tries to open fire. The bullets haven't left the chamber of the gun before Lightbringer disappears. She reappears behind him, and he screams as he's blown back to the other side of the room. A third tries to sneak up on her from behind. She doesn't even look behind her as she holds her palm out in the third's direction. He suddenly stops, rendered immobile.

She's like lightning. She's bright, too fast to follow, and she strikes again and again and again.

I have half a mind to run in and help her. But the reality is, I'd only hold her back.

Lightbringer punches down the last man, the force of her blow impressing a small crater into the earth. Still caught in the frenzy of the fast-paced fight, she turns around alarmingly fast, her eyes locking onto Seth Nixon next. He's still on the ground.

It takes us both a second to realize that his open eyes are unseeing.

I recount my attack on Nixon, second for second. I'd kicked him in the groin first, and then . . . yes, I'd struck at his larynx. I hit it hard. I know human anatomy well enough to know that a hit to the larynx can trigger asphyxiation.

He'd suffocated to death during the scuffle, hadn't he?

I killed him.

Lightbringer looks down at him. Then, she redirects that look to me.

"I . . . " I don't know what to say. "I-I didn't mean to . . . "

Her stone-faced look doesn't change.

At Harwell's, I'd been able to pretend I was normal. Child-like, even. Now, that mask is gone, and she sees me for what I am.

"He would have kept coming," I blurt. I can smell my own desperation. It reeks. "Don't you see? He never would have stopped going after me! In the end, killing him was the only way to -- "

Her heavy boots plod on the floor as she comes forward. It isn't until that she stands a foot away from me that I realize just how tall she is. Over six feet, easily.

I shrink down.

"Swiftshot," Lightbringer says. "In my youth, I made unspeakable mistakes. If someone condemned me for them, I would not be here now." She gets down on one knee, lowering herself, and I don't feel as small anymore. "I believe what you did was self-defense. I will tell the authorities that I was the one who dealt the blow, so long as you promise to tell me everything that happened."

"Yes," I say without hesitation. "I promise."

"And I mean everything."

I bite my lip when I realize that means disclosing my origins, and who I'm running from. But I nod all the same. "I promise," I repeat. "Thank you. For all of it."

Lightbringer smiles. "I'm just glad you're safe." She stands back up, drawing out a phone -- presumably to call the police. "Did any of these men ever hur-"

She cuts herself off suddenly. She tilts her head, like she's listening to a far-off voice. She closes her eyes and touches her fingers to the side of her head.

"Lightbringer?" I say. Something feels wrong. "Lightbring-?"

She holds up a hand to silence me.

I wait until she's finished. When she is, she says, "I just read a thought from Principal Harwell."

"You've got telepathy?"

"Yes. It was how I was able to detect your location as well. He's worried about trouble in New York City. I think your team's in danger."

"What?" Gretchen, Slade, Annie . . . And I'm not there to help them. "God, if I just hadn't gotten myself kidnapped, I could -- "

"Stop wallowing," Lightbringer orders. "Take my hand. I'm going to teleport us over to the Bank."

I swallow down my worry and walk over. I take her outstretched hand, and she holds me close to her chest and teleports.

I'm really not prepared for how instantanious it is. I always imagined teleportation to have one moment in between the departure and the arrival, a single, clear moment where you can feel yourself warping through the space continuum. But no. I blink once, I'm at the warehouse. I blink again, and I'm dropped off among the wreckage of a Bank lobby. I've barely even registered that Lightbringer's gone before she reappears again, wrapping her arms around the Martial and whisking her away from the jaws of a monster.

And the monster . . .

I clamp my hand over my mouth, not completely managing to stifle a shriek. I've seen some terrible, grotesque things before. This thing may top them all.

For one moment of helplessness, I can only look around. I see Annie and Gretchen, but not Slade. There are a few unconscious men with masks -- the bank robbers, I'm assuming -- still strewn on the ground, their guns not far from them . . .

It's the sight of the guns that stir me from my stupor. I dive forward, feeling my stomach bang against the ground, and grab one of the machine guns.

I get up to a knee, nestle the butt of the gun against the crook of my arm, and look down the gun's sights.

"Hey!" I call. "You hungry?" I hold down the trigger and unleash a storm of bullets, all aimed for the monster's mouth.

- Valerie -

It's not the opponents' sudden egress that worries me -- I've seen weirder. It's Vincent's comment. "Um . . . " I try to find some sort of explanation, but I've got nothing.

"Continuum," Empathy rolls up the cuffs of his sleeves, exposing his wrists as he walks forward, "stay by me. The rest of you, remain on guard. Look out for each other."

[Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]
Currently Reading: The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Currengly Binging: Seraph of the End
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Comrade Squid on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 pm

The words "Harwell's professionals" had barely left Gretchen's mouth before Lightbringer appeared.

Daikaiju's eyes flashed in surprise when the Martial was yanked from its jaws, forcing them to snap shut. Not willing to admit defeat so easily, the monster dragged itself back onto its feet, ready to pursue when it turned and saw Lucille. It paused, its mouth opening just enough to give Lucille an opening. It could not avoid her barrage.

The bullets easily pierced the soft, unprotected flesh within Daikaiju's maw, causing it significant pain. It screeched in agony, its hole-ridden tongue dripping loosely from its mouth as the fireball it had prepared for the Martial volleyed out directly towards Lucille.

Any thoughts of a rebuttal Annie had were quickly forgotten with the sudden appearance of help.

Still slightly delirious, hopeful surprise crept across her face with the appearance of a familiar, silver-haired girl.

"Gretchen!" She exclaimed with a tone of urgency. "I think it's Lucille!"

---

Hommel got the impression Beckwith was starting to be annoyed. His tone became stiffer, more forward.

"There's more I'd like to say about our meeting, but it can't be said aloud in a place such as this. If you'd like to know more, I suggest we meet somewhere else later."

He stood up, considering walking away if the other Professor didn't stop him.

"Don't worry- he has not been unfaithful to you. He still cares. More than ever."

Thank you so much ~Hermione~ for the awesome signature!
Comrade Squid
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Senbonzakura on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Lucille.

Gretchen heard the name spoken before registering her own had been said, and she swung her head around to find her. Finally, she made the connection that the bullets flashing across her vision to the monster were being fired by Lucille.

"I'm happy to see her," the brunette commented with confusion, "but, um, what the hell?"

~~~~~~~~

"A place such as this"? It's Harwell's Institute for the Fairly Exceptional. How much more secure can a building be?

Sam, however, nodded, and pretended to be understanding at the stranger's request for confidentiality. His tone then darkened sharply at Hommel's last comments.

"Oh, it's perfectly alright." The younger turned his unseeing gaze away from the other, as if the comment was too important to be said to Edmund's face, "The purity of Domhnall's intentions was never in question."
Lady Senbonzakura
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:06 pm

- Lucille -

Dropping the gun, I run away from the fireball, throwing myself behind a bank-teller's desk that toppled over during the destruction of this place. The fire scorches the wood, and I feel heat envelop me, but I'm otherwise safe.

I start to come out from my hiding place to get back to the gun before Lightbringer holds out her hand. "Stay back! You've done enough."

Now that the Martial's safe, Lightbringer walks forward, facing the monster. Then she soars straight up into the air, hovering fifty feet off of the ground. A ball of light gathers in her hand, like she's preparing a devastating blast.

[Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Comrade Squid on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Daikaiju did not continue its attack against Lucille, rather, it took a moment to regain its stamina before seeing Lightbringer launch into the air. It craned its neck up at her, eyes settling on the heroine, the blood dripping from its maw glistening in the light of her charging energy.

Daikaiju's face did not resemble a human's very much at all. Its head could really be compared to the head of any other creature on earth. It was unique, a monster not defined by our standards. Yet, it sometimes seemed possible to read an emotion on its face. Perhaps the eyes were similar enough.

The widened eyes. The partially dropping jaw. If Annie had to have described what Daikaiju was feeling, she would have probably picked the word "fear."

And you know what they say about a cornered animal.

Not taking its gaze off Lightbringer, it reached and grabbed an empty car parked on the side of the road next to it, wasting no time in hurling it directly at the superhero. But it had no intention of following up the attack. Instead, the monster turned tail and ran, leaping down the lifeless road in great bounds to get away.

---

Hommel felt a twinge of disappointment in his response. He admired the clever response, but it made him realize that Professor Beckwith would not join his cause.

"Understandably so," he replied. "I won't take up any more of your time."

And with that, he began to walk away.

Comrade Squid
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Senbonzakura on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:07 pm

"Oh, sir!" Sam lifted his hand upon hearing Hommel's steps retreating. He then motioned towards the opposite direction, "The headmaster's office is that way."
Lady Senbonzakura
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaybaysasuke on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:57 pm

~Riada~

"Yes, sir," I responded, looking around the room for any sign of movement. As I'm looking I see Vincent out of the corner of my eye and can't help but wonder: who was coming after him?

"In this whole world, everything is the dream of the butterfly."
Shaybaysasuke
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

http://Teh-Random-Irish-Chick.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:24 pm

- Lucille -

Just like the way the bullets stopped back in Maine, Lightbringer holds out her hand to stop the car that the monster tossed at her. She nearly hurls it behind her carelessly, but she's then forced to stop when she sees how many people are gathered down below. Careful to not let the car hurt anyone, she tries to methodically place it on the ground. It's like she's playing a game of Tetris, trying to figure out how a descending piece will best fit.

Finally, enough people clear out of the way, and Lightbringer sets the car down next to the curb. By the time she's finished, the monster is already out of sight.

She flies down to the Martial. "Take care of the students. I'm going to teleport around and try to find him."

"Wait -- "

But Lightbringer's gone before she can finish.

WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Comrade Squid on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Daikaiju, having gained a sizable lead over Lightbringer, had already scaled a building at the other end of the street, leaving claw marks all up and down where it had climbed. From the top of the building, it sighted its escape route.

The beast dug its claws into the opposite of the building, sliding down it hastily and leaving a trail of smashed bricks and broken glass. Upon reaching the other side, it charged across the road, careless of the terrified pedestrians and smashing its way through traffic before reaching the promenade and diving headfirst into the Hudson River with a splash.

---

Annie tried to stand up again. Though she seemed to be capable, she felt pressure rush to her injured leg and her head began to spin. The blonde decided it'd be better to go back to sitting, her back leaning against the bank's foundations. She coughed out some more dust, her eyes lazily drifting up to Gretchen.

"I was stupid, wasn't I?" She asked sincerely.

---

So they've moved it.

Hommel turned around and started to head in the direction indicated by Sam.

"Thank you, Professor."

Comrade Squid
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top