FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS

STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
» « Asphodel »
Yesterday at 11:36 pm by Acheron

» Harwell’s Institute for the Fairly Exceptional II
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm by WritingBookworm

» Irongale ♕ [RP THREAD]
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 am by WritingBookworm

» [RP THREAD] L I M I N A L
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm by WritingBookworm

» Ithaca in the Rapture
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:14 pm by ~Dylan Battle~

» Infinity's Row 2: The Puppetmaster ☾ [ROLEPLAY THREAD]
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 pm by Shaybaysasuke

» [rp thread] Danmachi
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:58 pm by Shaybaysasuke

» ✮ app thread ✮ Danmachi
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:32 pm by Ace

» A Tired Hiatus
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:09 pm by Captain Whitehawk

January 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Stones of Power

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Re: Stones of Power

Post by WritingBookworm on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Chapter 10: The Order

Astra Capricorn was rather tired.

The entire stunt at the hospital? As much fun as it had been to play with that Nocturne look-alike’s emotions and scare Vandergrift out of the building, it hadn’t been so much fun getting out of the building after the Ruby Mediator had set it on fire. Gavin- that lumbering idiot- had barely managed to whisk them away to Arcania once more.

Now she was lying in her room in Nocturne’s castle. The accommodations were very exquisite. A giant blue, canopied bed with a feather mattress served as the main attraction, with finely crafted mahogany tables and expensive, lavish chairs sparsely placed around the room. A large window provided a view of the finer parts of Teraston. Yes, being the Teraston president’s most trusted confidant certainly had its advantages.

The bed was so comfortable that it threatened to swallow her up in the depths of sleep even though she had barely woken up. She had removed the sapphire ribbon from her hair and now held it up high, the silk ribbons hinting at the opportunity to slip from her smooth fingers at any moment yet remaining obedient to its master. The blue surface reflected the sun’s brilliant rays everywhere, transforming the room.

Astra let her thoughts wander along with the rays. At the hospital, Vandergrift had seemed. . . out of energy. Sure, she’d traveled to Geomelis and had some of her ruby’s power trained as a result, but the fire she’d blown in Gavin’s face seemed weak- at least, a lot weaker than it looked like it should have been. And going to Geomelis to go to a hospital? And that boy she was with had an onyx pendant. Could he possibly be the other Onyx Mediator?

No, he was the other Onyx Mediator. Doctors had been saying something about a baby being alive again when she had arrived. Additionally, there were simply no coincidences when it came to the affairs of Mediators.

So Vandergrift weakening . . . going to a hospital. . . the Geomelin Onyx Mediator. . .

She nearly dropped the ribbon when the pieces suddenly fit together. She caught it again just in time, the hard sapphire plummeting into her palm. She sat up suddenly as if she’d been launched from a catapult.

Vandergrift’s Counterpart was dead.

Everything made sense. Vandergrift was weakening because that was simply what happened when one lost a Counterpart. Going to the hospital? She had gone there to find possible death records and maybe even examine other bodies. As for the Onyx Mediator- well, the reason she’d recruited him was obvious.

Astra almost laughed. To think, Vandergrift could be dead within the week. The day she’d been eagerly anticipating was almost upon her. How long had she wished for her death? Two, maybe three years? That didn’t seem like too long when one first heard it, but to her, over seven hundred thirty days was a fair amount.

A flicker of doubt sparked amidst the ecstatic tidal waves. What if she was wrong to be thinking those kinds of thoughts, to be wishing death on Vandergrift? Was it moral of her to think that about her former best friend, no matter what she may have done in the past?

She exterminated the thought almost as soon as it popped up. No, Vandergrift deserved to die. She would make sure that she did.

A thunk rebounded through the room, pulling her out of her thoughts. Her eyes wandered, looking for the source-

Her fist was on the table. Apparently she’d unconsciously brought it down hard while caught up in her thoughts.

Astra released a large breath through her nose as she unclenched her fist.

Multiple heavy raps sounded on the door, bursting like the shots of those guns she’d seen in Geomelis. She quickly stood up, ran a hand through her tangled golden hair, threw on a fine silk robe that matched her nightgown and answered the door.

It was the captain of the guard, a tall, stocky man with black stubble on his chin and wearing heavy armor. Despite the addition of the robe, she suddenly felt inadequate.

“Lady Capricorn. I’ve come to give you yesterday’s report on the prisoner.”

“And?” She caressed the doorframe with her spindly fingers, setting some of her weight to the side. She cocked her head in interest, letting some of her hair slide down.

Shortly after she had gained Nocturne’s trust, he had given her a responsibility; to be in charge of his most important prisoner. The prisoner wasn’t of high social status and her spirit had been broken long ago, but Nocturne still believed that she could still be of use for a multitude of reasons. Frankly, so did Astra.

“Just like always, she hasn’t moved,” answered the captain. “All she did was lay on the bed- didn’t even move when food was delivered. I honestly don’t see the point in keeping such a desolate prisoner around.”

Oh, there are many things you don’t know. . . she said to herself. Out loud she simply told him, “Thank you. You are dismissed.”

The captain bowed and left. She shut the door after him.

She was immensely satisfied by the report. Sure, it was the same as always, but that was what made it another successful twenty-four hours. As long as the prisoner remained broken, she wouldn’t try to escape or anything. And the longer she didn’t try anything, the better.

The captain’s report about the prisoner reminded Astra that she had to give her own report to Nocturne. So she began dressing appropriately after receiving a brisk breakfast in her room and washing herself. She dressed in a sleek dark blue dress with an hourglass waist, twisted her hair elaborately and piled it on top of her head, hooked a necklace around her neck and slipped her feet into black flats. She sent a servant to announce her coming, then headed out.

She trotted through the halls. She never ceased to be amazed by its grandeur. The walls were covered in black wallpaper with patterned, regal red curlicues. The silver floor was polished and partially covered with a handsome black aisle. Golden chandeliers hung at perfect intervals, casting golden flecks about like stars.

Astra smiled inwardly, remembering the first time she had walked through the halls of the castle, after Nocturne had found her. Those were among the few memories that she readily embraced and held close to her heart.

She swung the door open to Nocturne’s study, a cozy little place with bookshelves for walls and fire crackling at all times. Right across the doorway stood a writing desk and chair. She was surprised to see Nocturne sitting at that desk, hunched over a piece of paper, his hand deliberately going up and down.

She crossed over to the desk and craned her neck. She saw him dip a black quill in even blacker ink, and then add some more sketches on the paper.

“Are you . . . drawing?” she clasped her hands behind her back. “Are you able to see enough that you can look at finer details?”

A corner of Nocturne’s lip tugged upward. Astra loved it when he made a half smile like that; she also loved that he only did so when around her. “I am not quite there yet, but this morning my physician told me that my sight has improved to the point in which I can now decipher large texts, or broad lines on a drawing.” He held up the quill with his right hand. “As you can see, I have been putting this information to good use.”

She crossed the remaining distance to the desk and laid a hand on top of his stray left one. Just like that, her heartbeats multiplied. “That’s delightful, Nocturne.” She bent down so she could meet his eyes and smiled whimsically.

In turn, his eyes met her face as best as they could. He furrowed his eyebrows. “You . . . you look beautiful.” He blinked a few times. “I mean, you always look stunning . . . but wow.”

Astra’s smile grew, showcasing her two rows of perfect white teeth. She wondered if he could properly see them now that he could see details. “Why, thank you.”

Being an orderly man, Nocturne did not allow himself to remain distracted for long. He stood up, and for a moment he faintly glowed in black. Within a second and without much effort, he had produced a cozy black armchair that formed on the other side of his desk. “Please, sit down.”

She did, with him following her lead. “How did your mission at the hospital go?”

Astra bit her lip, directing her eyes to her lap. She hated these moments; the ones where she disappointed him. But she was too close to him to hide the truth, either. And now matter how disappointing news was, he always seemed to take it better when it came from her.

“Vandergrift got away,” she admitted. “I more or less had her cornered, but she still proved to be elusive. She might as well have set fire to Gavin when he tried to stop her.”

“Set fire to Gavin? How is he?”

Stupid as ever, but alive. “He appears to be okay from what I’ve heard, but he is nonetheless still in a . . . condensing . . . amount of pain. His face may not look the same from now on. And that was with her fire being half as powerful as she intended it to be.”

“What of Terrence?”

“He chased her, provoking Vandergrift to set fire to the building. Because of that he ran back for Gavin and me and, despite his injury, Gavin managed to get all three of us back to Arcania just in time. Terrene was relatively unharmed save for a few burns here or there, but he keeps blaming himself for letting Vandergrift get away.”

For all she cared, that was exactly what Terrence should have been doing. Admittedly they had all played their part in failing their mission, but it was Terrence that had especially fumbled.

Nocturne’s shoulders became tense. “So. . .” he crossed his legs, placing his ankle on his knee, “you were defeated.”

Astra sighed. “Yes.” Then she straightened as her face lit up. “However. Despite this failure, I was able to draw a conclusion- something you would be very interested in.”

He readjusted his position, aligning his spine with the high back of the chair. “What’s that?”

She grinned, once again barely fighting off the urge to laugh. “I believe Vandergrift lost her Counterpart.” Then she realized the mistake she had made in her sentence. “Actually, allow me to correct that- I know Vandergrift has lost her Counterpart.”

She didn’t need to have Nocturne take off his mask to know that he had raised his eyebrows. “She’s lost her Counterpart?”

This time Astra didn’t bother suppressing a few giggles. “Yes.” She leaned in, curling her fingers around the armrests. “That’s exactly what I’m saying. Think about it. It’s the perfect explanation for why she went to the hospital and recruited the other Onyx Mediator-“

Nocturne interrupted her. “Hold up,” he held a hand out, palm facing her face. “An Onyx Mediator?” He placed a hand under his chin. “So. They have a new ally . . . what is his name?

“I don’t know. He seemed to be fifteen, maybe sixteen, and he looked a lot like you.”

Nocturne was quiet for a while. He shifted in his position and closed his eyes, obviously deep in thought. He didn’t say anything for such a long time that she believed that he’d fallen asleep when he finally spoke.

“You’re sure he had the onyx?”

“Affirmative.”

“From Geomelis?”

“Affirmative.”

“And he looks like me?”

“Again, affirmative. You two look so alike that you could have been Counterparts if not for the age difference.  You seem older than him.”

He delved into silence for the second time. He removed his hand from his chin and laced his fingers together. Astra couldn’t quite explain it, but it felt like Nocturne was getting further and further away.

“Capture him.”

He spoke so suddenly that she didn’t manage to grasp what he had to say. “Excuse me?”

Nocturne finally opened his eyes. They too were strangely distant, as if they were disconnected from the rest of his body.

“Capture him,” he repeated. “As soon as you can. Not kill- this is the one Mediator that I absolutely forbid you to kill. I must see him alive.”

“Why’s that?” He had never ordered them not to kill an opposing Mediator. What was his motivation for doing so now?

A flash of unease whizzed across his eyes, brief but prominent. “I . . . have my reasons. They do not matter as of now.”

Astra stared at him. Never had he ever kept something from her. Ever. Why start now? What was so private that he couldn’t even tell her about? Or was it not the secret, but herself? Maybe she had done something wrong to lose his trust-

You idiot, she suddenly reprimanded herself. You haven’t done anything wrong. This just appears to be very . . . personal . . . to him.

Nocturne stood up and became pacing around his study. “Have Gavin locate this other Onyx Mediator. I don’t care what kind of condition he’s in, this is a mission that should be completed pronto. Once that’s done, send Terrence to collect him.”

Astra rose as well. “Shall I accompany Terrence?” She prayed that didn’t come off as eager-sounding. But she had come down to a resolution that, if perhaps she worked harder to please him, then he would tell her what this was all about.

He shook his head, forcing her organs to plummet. But they rose back up quickly when his eyes darted to the drawing he had produced and added, “No. Because I have a rather different job for you. . .”

"You rise with the moon, I rise with the sun."

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

Currently Reading: The Iliad by Homer
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Okay, this is just to let you guys know, remember how I said that I was gonna take all of the SoP chapters down once I got it published? Well, it hasn't been published quite yet, but it's definitely getting there.
So yeah, just a little heads up and stuff. Smile

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

:O You're gonna publish it?

I must find out more.

Site Rules | Banner Submission | IR | Evergreen
Adrian
Administrator
Administrator

http://bit.ly/JxlCjs

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Yup. Smile I'll need to look over a proof copy first, but I've finished the summary and, while it's still being designed, the cover looks fantastic.

WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Okay, all of the chapters are going to be taken down on Friday. I may post another chapter before then if you guys for some reason REALLY want one, but that'll be it. Then there should be an information thread on the book and when it'll release and stuff like that for all those interested.

WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5