FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS

STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
» « Asphodel »
Today at 2:21 pm by Comrade Squid

» Asphodel: The Application Thread
Yesterday at 9:59 pm by Captain Whitehawk

» Irongale ♕ [RP THREAD]
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 am by boyhoy

» Infinity's Row 2: The Puppetmaster ☾ [ROLEPLAY THREAD]
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am by boyhoy

» Anaphora: Descension (Into Feels)
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 pm by Michael DeathFlame

» [RP THREAD] L I M I N A L
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 am by Adrian

» Harwell’s Institute for the Fairly Exceptional II
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 pm by Fix-It

» [APP THREAD] L I M I N A L
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:50 pm by Adrian

» Dylan's Ultimate Guide to his Asphodel Characters
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:14 am by Captain Whitehawk

March 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Stones of Power

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Stones of Power

Post by Kagome on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Absolutely incredible story!! I can't wait for the next chapter!
Kagome
Kagome
Student Creator
Student Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:52 am

Thank you so much! Seriously. ^.^
And sorry I couldn't get it out today. I ended up unable to access the computer. I'll have it up by tomorrow.

"You rise with the moon, I rise with the sun."

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

Currently Reading: Dear Evan Hansen by Val Emmich
Currently Watching: The Umbrella Academy
WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhoy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:53 pm

WRITING!!!! WHY ARE YOU SO GREAT AT CLIFF HANGERS?!?!?! GIVE ME THE NEXT CHAPTER!!! THIS IS FREAKING AMAZING!!

boyhoy
boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 pm

@Boyhoy: xD

Chapter 3: Nocturne

Nocturne clasped his hands behind his back, facing his window. He could easily envision it- tall, extravagant spires of various castles reaching up to the sky, the numerous citizens milling about and spring weaving its way into all of their lives.

And to think, he was over all of them. . . 

His rise to power certainly hadn't been easy. He had started out as a homeless, blind teenager scavenging for food- a homeless, blind teenager with bright ideas. But a family took him in, and he found his way in this world. Politicians eventually recognized his ideas for what they were and he was quickly labeled a political prodigy at age sixteen.

Then he found the onyx.

Ever since Nocturne found it, he could suddenly see again. Not in the way he used to- everything was pitch black save a few very basic outlines of objects and people. He still longed for his real vision, but this would do for now.

Not only could he see with the onyx, but he gained nearly unlimited power. With this he easily rose through the political ranks until he was finally crowned as Arcania's rule. There was only one thing that stood in the way of his goal now.

The Resistance.

A hand thudded against the door. “Nocturne, permission to come in?”

“Permission granted.”

The door opened to allow footsteps click on the tile, then the door shut again. “I've got news.”

Astra. A Mediator, just like him.

“Gavin detected a Pathway to Geomelis that was recently opened the the Resistance's Celia Vandergrift,” she reported.

Her news caught his interest. Pathways between dimensions were rarely opened by the Resistance, as most Mediators were bound to uphold the border and not use it to their own advantage. If the Ruby Mediator traveled to Geomelis, then that meant something drastic must have happened.

“This is certainly an interesting piece of news,” Nocturne said. “I wonder what has made the Resistance so desperate. “He paused for a moment to think, then continued, “Can Gavin track down the Resistance’s location through the Pathway? You know that it's more imperative than ever that we have it.”

He turned around to see the outline of her head shaking. “I asked him that already. He can’t track down the location of where the Pathway was opened- no one can. He can only tell that one was opened and that Celia opened it from the waves her ruby gave off.”

Nocturne bit his lower lip. That was a pity. “Well then- open a Pathway to Geomelis yourself and dispatch of the Ruby Mediator while she’s alone.”

Astra merely nodded, not betraying any emotion as far as Nocturne could tell. She didn’t even do so when he told her to make one of her usual missions to Geomelis. “Understood.”

“Oh, and I imagine you won’t have any trouble with it? After all, you and the Ruby Mediator were close friends. But that has been left behind, correct?”

Astra sniggered. “Correct,” she said without hesitation. 

Nocturne smiled as he ran his fingers over his armchair’s silk, rippling texture. “Good. Now, go.”

“Yes, Nocturne.” She spun on her heels and opened the door, her footsteps as firm as her decision. Then she stopped walking just as she stood under the doorframe. “Oh, before I forget-  has your sight improved from the last time Doctor Lawrence examined you?”

A rare softness bloomed inside him at her concern. “Yes, it’s getting along just fine. Thank you.” He unconsciously fingered the gold-lined edge of his mask.

She nodded and walked away. The resolute sound of the door shutting reminded Nocturne that he was alone once more.

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhoy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:19 pm

.......You kill me with your perfectness. It's like a dagger to my heart. I want to know mooooooooreeee!!!

boyhoy
boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kagome on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 pm

That is just... wow... I'm speechless. You're such a great writer!
Kagome
Kagome
Student Creator
Student Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Thank you guys!

Chapter 4: The Pestiferous Girl

Just like that, time itself seemed to come to a standstill. Lance's surroundings melted into blurs, all noises outside of Celia's words completely drowned out.

Brother...

Levi.

Lance inhaled as if he had just resurfaced after being underwater for a long time. “Hold up- Levi? D-do you know where he is?”

Celia's face contorted into something unrecognizable- was it far? Anxiety? Reluctance?- for a split second before smiling devilishly. “I'm pretty sure I do.”

A beam of unfamiliar hope surged up inside him, enough hope to allow him to smile- the biggest one he had smiled in years. “Where? Where's Levi?”

“Nuh-uh-uh!” Celia wagged a finger at him. “That's the catch- I’m not telling.”

Suddenly the beam of hope was consumed by a plummeting anger. “Wai- no! Tell me where he is RIGHT NOW!” His yelling caught the attention of others, but he was too angry to care. This girl had no right to withhold Levi's location from him. Did she have any clue how much this meant to him? This was his brother they were talking about.

The brat of a girl just shook her head. “Sorry, my lips are sealed. Well, that is, after you help me get out of my predicament.”

Now Lance could see where this was going.

“So let me get this straight,” he said, trying to organize his mind, “you'll tell me where my brother is if I help you?”

Celia nodded urgently. “That's right.”

For a moment there, Lance didn't know what to do. Just the very fact that she wasn't telling him where Levi’s location was reason enough not to help her. But on the other hand, he wanted to see Levi desperately, and if she wasn't kidding, if he did help her, if she knew where he was...

“Deal.”

~ ~ ~

“You mean a hospital?”

“Oh, so that's what infirmaries are called in Geomelis?” Celia was barely even paying any attention- now that they were out of the school and into the city, her eyes darted around in untamed wonder.

Lance at the moment wanted nothing more than for her to stop parading around. She already looked embarrassing enough, with her chin-length auburn hair overlapped by an orange bandanna, her dress held together by spots of patchwork, big ears and freckles splattered on her nose.

“Yes,” he said stiffly, anger still detectable in his voice. He was still pretty upset that she used the idea of Levi's location as means to get her own needs. “Why do you need to go to a hospital?”

Celia looked at him. “Records,” she said. “I need to look through files of those who have died within the last twelve hours or so. I don't think I’ll find the person I’m looking for there, but hey, it's a start.”

“Who're you looking for?”

“Um... somebody. That's the tricky part- I don't know.”

Lance arched an eyebrow. “You don't know who you're looking for?” he repeated in disbelief.

Celia's face contorted into unease. “Well, it's just that... it's complicated, to say the least. But once I do locate this person- that's where the onyx comes in.”

Thoughts of Levi vanished once she mentioned the onyx. He looked down at his pocket, where the stone fit snugly. “Speaking of the onyx, you never told me what it does,” Lance mentioned.

“True enough.” Celia finally stopped skipping around, much to his relief. “The onyx is one of the two most powerful stones out of all of them. You... that onyx can see the dead.”

Lance's heart skipped a beat when he heart those words leave her mouth. Was that... seeing the dead...

For a few moments, all he could do was stare at Celia. He quickly regained his composure, squaring his shoulders and adjusting his face into its usual stony look. An unfamiliar but welcomed feeling bubbled inside his stomach as he finally unearthed his onyx pendant and hung it around his neck.

He didn't quite know what to expect. Celia had said he could see the dead with this thing, but as far as he was concerned, his vision wasn't enhanced or anything. He saw no other people that weren't there before or looked funny. It was just the same streets and same crowd.

He looked at her and raised an eyebrow. “Nothing's happening.”

She shrugged. “Well, I don't know what's supposed to happen, but that onyx does have power. Trust me.”

“Well, you haven't- what the?!”

Lance stood frozen, as if his own spirit had left his body and abandoned it right there, in that shocked position. The only part that moved was his eyes- they traced an old man in a heavy coat. The old man glided through solid people as if they were just air. Once he really concentrated, he could also make out that the old man's body was extremely pale and somewhat see-through.

As if the very sight of the ghost wasn't enough, the old man turned to Lance and smiled- such a simple action yet one that unlocked an unbalanced feeling- before ultimately gliding out of sight.

Celia must have figured out what Lance had seen, because she folded her arms and said smugly, “Looks like I was right.”

He nodded slowly, still dazed from the sight. He barely registered Celia’s remark that they had to proceed to the hospital.

Lance followed her stiffly, barely able to put one foot in front of the other. He had actually just seen a ghost- and the ghost had seen him. What would happen now? Would he continue seeing the dead for the rest of his life? The thought made his stomach plummet, but at the same time it inflated his insides.

“Hey! Sir! You dropped this!”

Lance soon registered Celia waving a camera around and shouting out like someone who belonged in an insane asylum. Her shoulders tugged downwards when the man disappeared into the crowd.

“Man, he really looked like he was in a hurry,” she muttered under her breath. Quickly she forgot about the man- she began observing the camera from different angles, trying to decide what to make of it.

“What is this?” she asked him, eyes glimmering with curiosity.

“That’s a camera-“

“A camera? Came-ra,” she repeated, testing the word with a smack of her lips. “Sounds magical! What does it do?”

“Erm- um…” he paused, unsure of what to say. What were you supposed to do when someone from a different dimension /world/whatever wanted to know how everyday stuff worked? “You press this button at the top and-“  

Click! Celia didn’t give him time to finish. She then inspected the camera further to see what exactly it had done, her face lighting up when she saw the small screen. “Woah! There’s another small, unmoving person in that square! I don’t think that was there before!”

Ugh, that idiot. “It’s called a screen.”

But Celia was no longer paying attention, period. She frolicked around the street (Click!) like a unicorn jacked up on sugar, earning stares from (Click!) pretty much anyone in sight (Click!). Her face brightened each time she realized (Click!) the ‘square’ held a different person or place than a few seconds before.

“Lance! I think a new picture appears on the square every time you press the button!” she called.

No duh.

Lance finally decided to take action when she began snapping numerous photos of a couple leaning forward for a kiss. Said couple, obviously harassed, halted their moment to shoot a glare at Celia, who skipped merrily away.

He took the opportunity to stop her when she ran straight into him. He dug his thick fingers into Celia’s shoulders and shook her, as if that would straighten her mind. “Celia! Focus!” he said. “I-I want to see Levi as soon as I can, so let’s just get to the hospital to find whatever you need! All right?”

She stared at him with those wide brown eyes, fairly unnerved. At last she glanced at the camera with sunken eyes, her lips twisting sympathetically.

"All right,” she said, shoving Lance’s arms off of her. She placed the camera in one of her dress’s overlarge pockets, hesitating for a moment. Then she turned back to him, her devilish grin returning. “You know, it’s kind of cute.”

Already he sensed that her next remark wasn’t going to be good. “What’s kind of cute?”

Celia tilted her head and batted her eyelashes. “Just the way you stutter when you get heated up.”

It took every ounce of willpower Lance had to refrain from punching that pestiferous girl right in the face. “I- you know… d-do not!”

Crap.

She held a hand to her mouth, back hunching over and eyes wide, trying not to burst into a fit of giggles. “We should… get going… to the hospital now, shouldn’t we?” She sputtered in between the words, confirming his suspicion.

Lance made a mental note to kill that girl once all of this was over.

Last edited by WritingBookworm on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kagome on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 pm

That was hilarious! Great chapter!! Very Happy I can't wait for the next one!
Kagome
Kagome
Student Creator
Student Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by America on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Lol, I really like Celia xD! Amazing job~! You're awesome~!

Student Creator
Student Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Sorry it took a while for me to get this one out--real life was pretty busy for a moment there. 

Chapter 5: First Steps
“Yeah, I don't think we keep death records here.”

Celia bit her lip. “Are you sure? I mean you don't keep track of-”

“We don't. Sorry.”

Great. Just great. Well, there wasn't a likely chance they'd find the name of her Counterpart here anyways.

But what if the name of her Counterpart was here? She had to try. “Do you know anyone who died here in the last twelve hours?” she attempted.

The secretary exhaled exasperatedly. “No, I don't,” he said, annoyance giving the statement a sharp edge.

It was now pretty obvious that she wasn't going to get anything out of him no matter how much she tried, so she nodded and gave him a brisk thank you before walking away.

“That was fairly pointless,” she said once she arrived to the empty lobby, disappointment trickling through her veins. She joined Lance on a couch nearby only for him to stand up and sit in another chair right when she sat down.

"What're you even trying to do?” he said. “It's got something to do with dead people, from the way you're looking up death records and saying you want me to use the onyx to help you.”

Celia nodded. It was time to tell him just what she wanted him to do- she hadn't told him back outside because he looked shocked already just when she told him that he could see the dead, let alone...

“Speaking of that,” she began. “There's a few more abilities that the onyx has other than just seeing the dead-”

“There are? Why didn't you tell me them?”

“I am right now, aren't I? The second ability you possess is to create anything.”

Lance furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “Create anything? What exactly do you mean by that?”

Celia fingered the creases in the couch design. “Well, I’m not exactly sure how it works, but onyx powers are similar to the crystal powers and R- I mean, the Crystal Mediator-” she dared not say her name in fear of breaking into tears in front of Lance- “said it was something like converting regular particles to light based particles, then controlling those particles to create whatever you want.”

“You know, you know your science for someone who's from a medieval world,” Lance noted.

“We have a few things from Geomelis,” Celia admitted somewhat sheepishly. “One of them's a science book. Anyways, that's how the crystal works, and since their powers are rather similar, that might be how the onyx works as well. Go ahead- try it.”

Lance just kept looking at her for a few moments, then shrugged, as if deciding it couldn't hurt, closed his eyes and scrunched his facial features. As he concentrated more and more, Celia noticed that the very aura around him darkened. Bits and pieces of this detached themselves from this aura and slowly came together in a dark orb that floated in front of him.

She raised her eyebrows as she watched the dark particles come together. So her advice had actually been accurate- she hadn't been completely sure since she remembered her older sister telling her this years ago.

The aura around Lance gradually lit up like an eye slowly opening and ready to see the world. What dark particles remained converted themselves to their original state, and Celia didn't think that the air becoming a whole lot warmer was a coincidence.

Lance opened his eyes, his pupils gradually lowering like a feather until he came across the small ball of darkness he had created.

He was at a loss for words for a few long moments. Once he recovered from his initial aw, he guided his palm under the orb to the point where he was cupping it. He moved in slow, harmonious motions, as if he was afraid of waking up a baby. But his efforts proved useless- the orb suddenly split apart gracefully, swept up by the air and naturally converting back to their original state.

“Wow.” The word was so soft that Celia had to strain to hear it. “I can create... anything? Anything at all?”

Celia smiled. “For the most part- there's a reason why the onyx is considered one of the two most powerful stones of all. Just be careful what exactly you create. Bigger things can really take a huge amount of energy, especially at your level. I’m no expert on this, but I think it's safe to say that you probably shouldn't create anything larger than a book.”

“Well that's no fun,” Lance said. “Is there anything else this thing can do?”

A lump formed in her throat. She was especially concerned about what Lance thought of this one- this was the power he needed to use to help her.

“Yes.” Celia chose her next words carefully. Suddenly the air felt so prickly that she almost shivered. “The last thing... this isn't a power that can be taken advantage of very often- if you use this power too much... you will die.”

Apparently anything that had to with death, dying, whatever, immediately caught attention of residents of Geomelis, because Lance was staring intently at Celia before she even finished the sentence. “What is it?” said Lance, his voice cautious yet sprinkled with anticipation.

“Um...” How exactly was she supposed to put this? Perhaps she should just say it all bluntly. Yeah, that would be the best option.

"You're now kind of able to bring back the dead.”

If Lance had been shocked when he found out he could see the dead- well- this was ten times worse. Celia swore his jaw dropped straight down to the floor, eyes wide open, even shaking somewhat in raw shock.

“Th-the dead... bring them back?” he repeated, as if saying it again would make it suddenly make sense. “I can bring back the dead. I can bring back the dead. I can bring back- okay, you've crossed the line with far-fetched! That's a lie!”

Celia's head shivered somewhat, as if it was threatening to explode. The dunce- honestly. It was good that he didn't believe everything straightaway, but... “Look, I came out of a bookshelf, you saw me set my hand on fire, you put on a pendant and can suddenly see ghosts. Does it look like I’m lying?”

He had nothing to say.

Celia took advantage of this to finally explain her predicament. “That’s the power I want you to use to help me. I need to bring someone back from the dead.”

“Figures,” Lance said. “Who wouldn’t want to bring a loved one back from the dead?”

She wanted to smack him upside the head for saying something like that so freely. But yet again, he didn’t understand the whole thing about Counterparts, that if one of them died, the other would as well…

“Let’s just say it’s much bigger than that,” she said. “And of course, if you do that for me, you’ll be able to see Levi again.”

That shut him up. “All right, all right,” Lance said, encouraged. “If it means seeing Levi again.”

She smiled, glad that Lance was back on board. She only hoped that the smile didn’t look too fake.

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down