FORUM RATING
Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS

STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Latest topics
June 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Similar topics
End of Year News (December 2017)

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am by Adrian

(It's been one year since I made a news thread, oops)

Merry Christmas/Festivus/whatever holiday you do or do not celebrate!

2017 was a pretty busy year IRL for most of us - according to forum statistics, our busiest month was in June with 1671 total posts, meaning our post rate has been a little …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Adrian

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Adrian

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Stones of Power

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Stones of Power Empty Stones of Power

Post by WritingBookworm on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Hello, WritingBookworm here. So. . . this is my story. My really big story that's longer than anything else I have written, including The Necromancer's Matter (and if you go talk to someone who's read it, they'll vouch that it's pretty long) and still going. I've been working on this for a little over a year, and it's my heart and soul. Because of that, and I desire to get it published, it's under a different name right here. Yes, Stones of Power isn't actually what I call it. Once it's up for sale as a legit book, I'll likely be taking every single chapter off of the internet. Updates will most likely be semiweekly, possibly weekly. I guess that just depends on what I happen to be doing over the summer.
So, now that business has been taken care of, I present my novel. I hope you like it. Smile

Prologue

Erin Mercer was about to die.

The sixteen year old turned the grimy pistol over in her hands. Everything was set-her note, the bullet and pistol, all of her valuable belongings in the hands of people she trusted.

She was alone- it was now or never.

Her throat constricted, her fingers uneasily flexing around the gun. Was she so sure that she wanted to go through with this? She had done her research- this was a permanent solution. Her family would be devastated.

But yet again, she had always devoted herself to the happiness of others. Now it washer turn to be happy.

Erin drew in a deep breath and pressed the barrel of the gun to her head, the cool metal sending icy waves on her skin. She tightened her grip once she felt herself relaxing her hold.

“Sorry guys,” she murmured, her voice almost a whisper.

Erin willed her finger to pull the trigger before she could stop herself.

~ ~ ~

Celia Vandergrift felt a sudden, splintering pain shoot through her head. The sensation disoriented her senses- it made her vision go topsy-turvy and sent a pulsing ring through her hearing.

She would have collapsed if she hadn't already been sitting down in an armchair. She brought her knees to her chest, forcing her teeth together. Don't cry out, don't cry out, she told herself. You're strong, you can live through this-

Apparently Celia wasn't doing a good job of hiding her pain, because she faintly heard footsteps pound over to her.

“Celia! Are you all right?” It was so painful that Celia couldn't recognize who the voice belonged to. All she could tell was the voice sounding feminine.

Celia wanted to answer her, but it throbbed so much that she couldn't move...

Just as she mentally screamed for the pain to go away for the thousandth time, it did. Not all at once, but gradually, slowly trickling out of her mind. She felt a wave of ease brush over her once it finally stopped, but as a result, she felt as if it took twice as much effort to move, walk, just to do anything-

Celia stopped breathing once she realized what had happened.

She helped herself up into a sitting position, blankly staring into the fire she herself had lit. The fire was supposed to be warm and reassuring from the way the heat lightly dabbled on her skin, but it wasn't tonight.

The girl who had rushed to help Celia, who she now recognized as Melody, knelt by the chair and studied Celia. “What's wrong?” Melody asked softly, in her voice as smooth as silk.

Immediately Celia felt an urge to pour out all of her secrets to Melody, but quickly realized that it was just the effect her voice had. Melody was the Pearl Mediator after all. Her pearl gave her the ability to convince anyone and anything with her melodic voice.

Of course Celia wouldn't tell every little thing to Melody, but she did have to tell her what she just realized...

“My Counterpart is dead,” she muttered.

Melody furrowed her eyebrows. “What's that?” she asked, leaning in closer.

Celia gulped. “My Counterpart is dead,” she repeated, voice louder this time.

Melody's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. “Oh no... this isn't good.” Even her amazing voice was filled with worry.

Celia closed her eyes, trying not to cry. “One Counterpart cannot exist without the other Within seven days, I’ll die. There was still so much that I had to do...”

“What's going on?”

A new voice startled both Celia and Melody. A muscular, stiff-necked boy strode into the room, curious. “You both look like the world's going to end or something.”

Melody stood. “Actually, Barrett...” she hesitated for a brief moment, twirling her black hair uneasily. “For Celia, it might as well. Her Counterpart has died.”

Barrett's face paled. “Oh man, that's horrible!” His green eyes flickered around the room, as if he was hoping the walls would yield a solution. He then shook his head in an attempt to clear his mind. “Look, I’m sure we'll be able to find anew Ruby Mediator, one who will be just as capable as you-”

The very idea of having a new person assuming her position ignited a spark of anger in her stomach. Celia shot up and whirled around to face Barrett, staring at him as if she wanted to kill him in one look.

“No,” she snapped. “I can do this. I’ll find a way for me to live!”

“C-Celia...I’m sorry, but no one has been able to survive without a Counterpart for any longer than a week.” Melody's voice was fragile and threatened to break apart at any second, but still persuasive as ever. “You may as well-”

Then, just like that, a plan pieced itself together in Celia's brain.

“Of course...” Celia said. “No one has been able to survive without a Counterpart.”

With that, Celia dashed to the fireplace- or rather, the shelf that hung above it. She yanked a book off of the shelf and flipped through it excitedly.

Celia still didn't quite know what the book was about. She had never bothered to look into it. The only reason they kept it around was because it wasn't Arcanian-the book had wound up in their world from Geomelis and kept it should they ever need to travel to Geomelis. Only Mediators had the ability to travel between the two dimensions.

It was an ability that she could finally put to use.

“Celia, what are you doing?” Barrett nearly yelled. Celia payed no heed to him- she simply ignored him and yanked her ruby pendant off her neck and laid it on the surface of the book.

Celia then turned to look at the Citrine Mediator. “Maybe... if there's even the slightest chance of bringing my Counterpart back to life-”

Barrett didn't even give her a chance to finish. “Celia, have you gone mad? There's noway to bring back the dead!”

“Celia, I hate to admit it, but he's right,” Melody agreed, almost seeming to shrink, as if she thought Celia would yell at her for saying this.

She shook her head briskly. “No, you don't understand,” Celia persisted. “The Onyx Mediator-”

“In case you haven't noticed, we're kind of fighting against the Onyx Mediator!”

“Yes, the Arcanian Onyx Mediator,” she said. “But what about the Geomelin Onyx Mediator? If I can just travel to Geomelis and find the other Onyx Mediator, I can possibly-”

Barrett gripped his blonde hair fiercely. “Celia, this is crazy and you know it.”

Celia allowed a small smile. “So crazy that it just might work.”

She didn't allow any further conversation. Celia firmly pressed the book against the rotten, wood-planked wall, then jammed the ruby into the cover of the book as well.

The Ruby Mediator closed her eyes, mentally stretching out an arm, desperately looking for a road to Geomelis.

For the longest few moments, all she could find was a flat-out nothingness. So hollow, so pitch black, that Celia wondered if Barrett was right after all-

Then, just like that, a mental, winding road to Geomelis gradually unfolded, laid out perfectly as if Celia was just looking at the palm of her hand.

Celia grinned. “Found it,” she said to Melody and Barrett before allowing herself to travel down the road to a whole new world.

Perhaps all was not lost after all.

Last edited by WritingBookworm on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total

"You rise with the moon, I rise with the sun."

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

Currently Reading: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Currently Watching: The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

http://talesofateenagewriter.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Stones of Power Empty Re: Stones of Power

Post by boyhoy on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:19 am

Oh. My. GOSH!!! I WISH I HAD SEEN THIS SOONER!!! I'm already hooked and enchanted by the story. Phenomenal job! I will anxiously be awaiting more chapters.

Realizing a year late I haven't given credit to Lady Sen for the amazing avi! <3
boyhoy
boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks. ^.^

All right, Chapter 1 should be here either today or tomorrow, depending on when I can get on the computer.

Infinity's Row: Interlude l Anaphora: Pariah l Infinity's Row: Uncontrollable l Anaphora: Vengeance]

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhoy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:35 pm

AAAAAAAH I CAN'T WAIT!!! Very Happy

Realizing a year late I haven't given credit to Lady Sen for the amazing avi! <3
boyhoy
boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Stones of Power Empty Chapter 1

Post by WritingBookworm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 pm

~ ~ ~ Day 1 ~ ~ ~

Chapter 1: The Onyx in the Library

“Hey, Lance! Over here!”

Lance Bingham craned his neck, searching the school's front lawn for the one face out of all the students. Brian had suggested that they eat outside today- Lance had been hesitant, naturally, but in the end didn't see the harm.

Lance plopped down on the grass, nodding Brian a brief hello before digging into his lunch. He looked around. His friend had been right- it really was a nice day out, with the sunlight being fresh after three rainy days in a row and the grass a ripe green. Many more students are eating out here than usual, Lance noted.

“So, are you excited for track season?” Brian asked. He knew that Lance loved running, no matter how natural he acted or how indifferent he seemed when the subject was brought up. After all, even stone-faced Lance had been smiling when their school had won the state track and field championship the year before.

All Lance offered in response was a simple, plain shrug. “I guess so,” he said. He opened the milk carton and began to consume the contents, saying nothing more.

“Well, you have a lot of enthusiasm today, don'tcha?” Brian's voice dripped with sarcasm. “You're never excited about anything!”

This struck a chord in Lance. He abruptly stopped drinking, set the carton down, and turned to his friend. “Oh, thanks!” He allowed a small grin as he elbowed Brian.

Brian laughed back in joy, but soon enough his playful expression vanished. “You know, speaking of exciting... did you hear?”

“Hear about what?” he asked.

“Well, apparently a girl who attended Layton recently committed suicide."

Lance raised his eyebrows, his grin sinking back into it's usual frown. “What? When? Who?” He was so stunned that he could barely get out those three simple words.

Brian shrugged. “I don't know. All I know is that she was a younger girl in our grade.”

“Just a sophomore...” his voice was barely audible.

Brian blinked his light green eyes a few times and readjusted his position. “Word's been spreading around fast. They say that she shot herself. Her body was found just last night, when they were calling her down to watch a movie with them.”

Lance didn't say anything. He ran a hand through his red hair, his lunch suddenly very interesting. “That sounds a bit like... like when...”

He didn't say anything else. He couldn't afford to think about him.

Lance mentally cursed Brian when he forced him back into his mind. “Are you thinking about Levi again?”

For the longest time, there was only silence between the two. Yes, Lance was thinking about Levi- he thought about Levi every day. Even though he could barely remember what his voice sounded like, and even though the memory of the glimmer of amusement that sparkled in his eyes every time he laughed was fading, Lance was determined to keep him in his memory.

And perhaps more than that. Even though his older brother had disappeared five years ago and could very well be dead by now, he was determined to find him.

“Yeah, I am,” Lance finally admitted.

Brian slitted his lips in a nervous sympathy. “Well, come on. Geography's going to start soon. We really need to work on that project, remember?”

Lance did remember, thanks to Brian. A huge Geography assignment was recently assigned to them, one that would count for a reasonable portion of their grade. It was due in just a week, so they had to get cracking.

Lance nodded. “Yeah, we do.”

He quickly finished his lunch and began walking down to Mr. Hale's classroom, engrossed in another conversation with Brian. First it was about how Brian was sick of his little brother taking his stuff without telling him, rotated to Lance fondly remembering how Levi and him bought Goldie (his golden retriever) when he was small, and debated about whether or not golden retrievers or yorkies were the better breed of dogs as they crossed into the Geography classroom together.

The entirety of sixth hour was spent with Lance flipping through various textbooks and Brian browsing through the internet, both trying to find new information about Italy's farming and agriculture that would be useful for their presentation. By the end of Geography, Brian had come out much more successful than Lance.

“Try looking in the school library,” Brian suggested as they were about to part ways for their respective classes. “There's a book there, 1001 Facts About Italy, that my brother used for his report way back. It was incredibly useful for him, so if you can go ahead and find it, that'd be great.”

“I'll see if I can.”

Brian smiled. “Awesome.” He turned around and waved a hand behind him as he walked away. “Well, see ya!”

“Goodbye.”

The final hour dragged on by- Lance wasn't exactly fond of Chemistry. The whole time he simply held his head in his hand, his eyes eventually drifting down.

When he opened them again, the Chemistry classroom was replaced with a rolling field overlooked by a midnight black sky. Lance could see a very thin outline in the distance- an outline of a human being. He could faintly see a smile on the figure's face, but before he could discern everything, a tolling bell cut through sharply-

Lance opened his eyes with a start to see that the final bell had rung, sophomores filing out of the classroom. He avidly shook his head, biting off drowsiness, standing up and slinging his backpack over his shoulder.

All right, Brian wanted me to get that book, Lance mentally reviewed. I should probably go ahead and do that now before I forget.

Lance shoved his way through the bustling students as he headed on down to the library. Eventually his thoughts turned to that dream he had during Chemistry- who was that figure? And why had he or she been smiling at him?

That doesn't matter, he soon decided. A dream is a dream- nothing more. That's what Levi told me.

Lance pushed open the library door and crossed over to the nonfiction section. Geography books were at the very back, right? He wished he knew this stuff- after all, he didn't exactly come to the library unless he had to.

Fortunately, it was just as he had guessed- all of the Geography books at the very back. Lance ran his finger across the spines of the books, his finger bumping whenever he came across space between books like a bus jolting over a few rocks.

The book Brian had told him to get, 1001 Facts About Italy, was at the very end of a shelf, stopped only by a divider. The book was somewhat worn due to its age, but wasn't damaged enough that it wasn't readable.

Lance stood up. Well, he had gotten what he had came for-

Wait. What was that?

Lance swore he saw something glint out of the corner of his eye, something around where he had found the book. He knelt down and examined the small space-

Yup. There was something, all right.

He narrowed his eyes, any emotion in his dark eyes blocked by concentration. He felt around- there was something behind all of the books.

At last his hand enclosed around the object. It was smooth to the touch, like the feeling of rushing water solidified. He took his time in pulling it out as to be careful not to damage it- whatever it was. He also faintly heard a tinkling of a chain being dragged across a surface.

Lance removed his fingers from the object once it had been extracted from its hiding place. It was a smooth, oval-shaped, richly black stone a little smaller than his palm attached to a silver chain.

An onyx, he suddenly identified. What was an onyx pendant doing behind a bunch of books?

Before he could think much more about it, a light slowly began to radiate around the stone- small and incredibly faint at first, gradually thickening and thickening until it was completely surrounded by the glow.

Lance stared at the onyx. What the heck was happening?! Did he do something?

He frantically tried to cover the glowing onyx in some way, putting the book over it and wrapping it in his red shirt. Whatever this thing was doing, he had to stop it before it did anything bad...

His efforts weren't exactly succeeding. The onyx was still attracted to something, pulling in one direction as if a giant magnet was summoning it. And all the while, the light continued to grow stronger.

Lance finally gave in and brought the onyx out again- now it looked like a miniature sun instead of an onyx.

Then, all at once, the onyx shot a beam of light straight at the bookshelf.

Lance's eyes grew in horror. “Dang it, no! What the crap?!” He dropped the pendant in an attempt to extinguish the ray of light, but it was almost as if it made the light stronger...

Before he knew it, the light suddenly vaporized, as if there was a secret switch that turned it off. He didn't even have time to register for this when a weight pushed against his body roughly and sent him toppling down on the floor.

And that's when it all began.

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhoy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:04 am

AOUNBSDOGUFNDBFOUB!!!! THAT WAS AMAZING!!! It feels so real!!! Like the detail is so precise and the whole tone just feels like it's really happening. You're phenomenal. I am anxiously awaiting more chapters.

ALL YOU PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM BETTER BE READING THIS STORY!!!!!

boyhoy
boyhoy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by America on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:31 pm

This..... this is magical.
Excuse me while I just..... fangirl about the awesomeness....
SKDJFHYUEISKJFBHRUEISO~!

Student Creator
Student Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:58 pm

OMIGOSH A WILD SCAR APPEARED! HAI! Very Happy

Thank you both! ^.^

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Chapter 2: The New Mediator

Coming out of a bookshelf had to be on Celia's top three list of weirdest experiences. And she had gone through a lot, being a member of the Resistance.

To be frank, she didn't really remember much of the journey to Geomelis. She had just willed herself to go- hiked endlessly and endlessly and endlessly- and then she was here. That's all there was to it.

She gave out a small cry as she tumbled through the bookshelf, proceeding to knock a red-haired boy down before she could stop herself.

Celia blinked a few times, mentally shaking everything off. She nearly jumped when the boy gave a groan.

“Oh! I’m so sorry! Are you okay?”

He slowly opened his eyes once more, eventually realizing what had just happened. His eyes were... very dark... almost as dark as the onyx she was searching for.

Instinctively, he scrambled up to his feet and pushed Celia off of him, seizing one of the library chairs for support. His eyes swept around the room- miraculously, no one had seen that.

Well, the boy looked okay enough. But he did look very familiar...

Celia got up to her feet and set the Geomelin book aside on one of the shelves. She looked around the room she had landed in. Books, a desk, tables and chairs, strange square-shaped devices... her eyes almost hurt from the sight. It was all so weird...

Quickly enough her first sight of Geomelis warmed her heart. A playful grin nearly split her face in two. “Woah! I never expected Geomelis to be this... this... amazing!”

She then broke into a run, daring herself to explore every inch, as if she were frolicking in a field instead of crazily running around in a library. Her insides seemed to fill up with air and take to the sky, tree-bark brown eyes shining. She only stopped running around when she slammed into a chair that hadn't been pushed back by a student.

The hit didn't allow her joy to cease. Even as she rubbed her bandanna-topped head, she continued smiling and looking around the place.

Celia got to her feet, using the rowan wood table as support. She soon felt a pair of eyes almost boring into her back and caught the boy looking at her quickly.

Right- she had to get down to business. Could he, by any chance, be the Geomelis Onyx Mediator?

“Um, are you okay?” she tried. “After all, I did knock you into the floor and all-”

The familiar boy cut her off before she could ramble on. “Yes, I’m fine,” he answered briskly. “Who're you? And I’m pretty sure you weren't around me beforehand-”

“Uh-huh,” Celia said. “That's because I tumbled out of that bookcase over there. Who would have thought? It really looks like it came from Arcania!”

The boy stared at her as if an arm had just sprouted out of her head. “Excuse me? Arcania?”

Oh yeah- Celia had almost forgotten that residents of one dimension knew nothing about the existence of the other. She really needed to be more subtle about this stuff.

A small glimmer caught Celia's attention- something small and black on the floor.

The onyx!

Celia ignored the boy's question and scampered up to the onyx. Eyes shining in anticipation, she scooped the pendant off the floor before he had any time to react.

She lifted her eyebrows. Yup, that was it. At least, it sure looked like it. The key to solving her predicament...

“What are you doing with that? That's not yours- put it back.”

Celia nearly jumped out of her skin when the boy spoke again. She had been so caught up with the discovery of the onyx pendant that she had forgotten he was there for a second.

Wait- the boy... and the onyx, in the same spot...

“Is this yours?” she asked, her voice radiating with a compressed joy.

The boy took this into consideration for a moment, then finally shook his head. “No. I found it just now.”

This aroused more questions than answers. “Did it... by any chance... glow when you found it?” If it was, then of course that meant the onyx pendant hadn't been used in a while. And if this guy was the first one to touch it in a couple of years...

“Yes, it was. Why do you ask?”

...This was perfect.

Celia grinned. “What's your name?” she inquired, failing to keep her relief unnoticeable.

He searched her face for a moment, as if he were trying to decide whether or not she was even worth his time. It only took a few seconds of this to make Celia uncomfortable with his staring. It was almost as if he was trying to stare deep down into her soul with his piercing black eyes.

“Bingham,” he finally said. “Lance Bingham. You are?”

“My name's Celia Vandergrift,” she introduced, placing her hands on her hips and tilting her head slightly. “I'm the Ruby Mediator.”

Lance lowered his eyebrows. “Ruby Mediator?” He couldn't hold back a spark of interest in his rumbling voice. “What's that supposed to mean?”

“I'll explain later,” Celia promised. “But for now, all I can say is that you sure look like you're the Onyx Mediator, and because you are, I need you to help me out with something. Here- catch!” She swung her arm back and tossed the pendant to Lance, which he caught with ease.

“Actually,” he began as Celia began sprinting toward the door, “you're going to explain right now.”

Celia let out a sigh of annoyance just as she reached the door. “Look, we don't have time for thi-”

“Girl- Celia- you just toppled out of that bookshelf and knocked me over! You kind of owe me one right now.”

“Again, I said that I’d explain later-”

“Explain now or I won't help you with whatever you need.”

Celia pursed her lips, momentarily holding her head in her hands. She had to convince Lance to revive her Counterpart, and the sooner it was accomplished, the better. But with that kind of threat hanging in the air...

“All right.” She turned around and walked back over to Lance. “What do you want me to explain first?”

“I'd like to know just how exactly coming out of a bookcase is even possible, for starters.”

Celia smiled in admiration. “I like you already,” she noted absently.

She nearly howled with laughter at his reaction. He stared at her, throat tightening and cheeks flaring- whether it was with embarrassment or anger she couldn't tell. He balled his fists and stammered, “H-hey! That- that isn't funny! No one likes me! J-just... ugh, knock it off or something, why don't you?!”

Celia giggled. “Oooh! Is it just me, or is somebody embarrassed?” she chimed. And at a compliment as well...

“Cel- ah, just shut up!”

She shook her head slowly. “You know, I don't see why anyone would get so defensive like that over a compliment.”

“Just explain already!”

Celia held her hands up in the air. “Fine, fine, I will,” she seceded.

She took a deep breath. “Well, for starters, there are two separate dimensions- Geomelis and Arcania,” she began. “They both coexist with each other, but at the same time the citizens of one dimension don't know that the other one exists. The knowledge is purposefully deprived from them just in case one gets ideas of the two merging together.”

“Wait, two separate dimensions?” Lance shook his head. “Nuh-uh. No way. You have no proof of that.”

“Well, if you insist that there isn’t an alternate dimension, then that means our efforts to refrain people from knowing about other dimensions are working,” Celia said. “As for the proof- well- you want to know how I came out of the bookshelf, right? Well, that was me traveling from Arcania to here.”

Lance still wasn’t convinced. “But-“

“Do you want me to explain or not, Lance?”

His lips creased like a piece of paper. “Fine.”

Celia nodded briskly. “Thank you. Anyways, as I was saying, I tumbled out of that thing because I was traveling here from Arcania. As for the reason why- in short, I think it’s you who I’m looking for.”

Celia noted the way Lance just barely refrained from rolling his eyes. “And? Why were you looking for me?”

“You said you were the first one to touch that onyx pendant in quite a while, right?” Lance nodded. “Then congratulations, Lance. You’re the Onyx Mediator.”

“Wait, what? What are you talking about? Stop being so vague!”

“I’m not being vague! On the contrary, I’m being quite straightforward! You’re the Onyx Mediator.”

“But what is an Onyx Mediator or whatever?”

Celia began to relax once he asked the question. “For starters- well, actually, let's go outside,” she said. “The librarian might be back any minute.”

Lance seemed to be cooling down as well. “All right.” He followed Celia out of the door and into the school halls. They unanimously agreed that despite being people walking around the school halls, the sound of their own conversations would drown out their's.

“For starters,” Celia said once they were outside, “you know how I said that Arcania and Geomelis are kept separate?” Lance opened his mouth to answer, but she moved along before he could do so. “Well, Mediators are the people who frequently enforce this border. We use different stones left by the Angels and Demons-”

“Angels and Demons?”

Celia shook her head. “More on that later. Anyways, these stones are tools to help us enforce the border. Different stones grant certain abilities-”

Lance interrupted yet again. “Wait- abilities? As in powers or whatnot?”

"That's right! And before you ask for proof-” she seized his arm and led him into a corner. There she closed her eyes and inhaled, trying to steady her thudding heart and suddenly dry heart.

Just do it, she urged herself. You've done this many times before, and there's no point of being afraid of it if you can control it.

Before she could mentally protest further, she gathered the now precious energy inside her and gave it form. The next thing she knew, her hand was cupping a ball of fire.

Celia swore that Lance absolutely froze at that moment, gawking at the dancing flames. “Woah... h-how... what...”

The fire quickly extinguished itself before anyone else could see. “There you have it,” she said. “However, there is a catch, of course. I can only do that when I wear this- if I don't have this than I’m outright defenseless.”

Her hand dug down into her torso and emerged with a scarred, worn ruby hanging on a chain, just like the onyx pendant.

“So if the ruby lets you control fire... what can this do?” Lance asked, holding the pendant level to his head.

His question drove the very reason Celia had come there back to her mind. Her skin suddenly felt ten times more vulnerable to the cold when she remembered that she was due to die in seven days.

“Actually, that's the reason I came here,” she said. “No, you're the reason why I came here. I need your help.”

Lance's look fell from one of awe into one of stone in a matter of milliseconds. “Look, this whole powers thing is great, I guess, but why should I go over to a separate dimension just to help you?”

“You don't have to go to Arcania,” Celia said. But for the most part, Lance was right. What reason did he have to help her? She should have thought this through...

Then it all came at once, a huge explosion in her head. She finally figured out why Lance looked so familiar.

“Um, Lance... do you, by chance, have a brother?”

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by WritingBookworm on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Next chapter should be out today.

WritingBookworm
WritingBookworm
Story Moderator
Story Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down