Creative Commons
Creative Commons License
Original Creativity Center works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, unless stated by the owner. Permission to distribute commercially must come directly from the artist/writer. Some individual works (RPGs, stories, artwork) may have their own licenses, so be sure to pay attention and heed those as well. The above purely exists as an umbrella license.
Vote!

Liking what you see? Vote for Creativity Center here! You can vote once per day
Site Leaders
ADMINS
MODERATORS
STORY......GFX........RPG.

Staff Online
Keywords

canaissexy  x3  

Latest topics
» Irongale ♕ [RP THREAD]
Today at 12:22 am by Shaybaysasuke

» Seoulite[SGRP]
Yesterday at 1:08 am by Cana

» Harwell's Institute for the Fairly Exceptional
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:07 pm by Lady Senbonzakura

» Infinity's Row 2: The Puppetmaster ☾ [ROLEPLAY THREAD]
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:21 pm by Shaybaysasuke

» Harwell's Fan Thread!
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:42 pm by Comrade Squid

» Irongale Fan Thread!
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:15 pm by Lady Senbonzakura

» The World of Swords [SGRPG] [FULL]
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:38 am by Hero of Time

» Red Queen {RP Thread}
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:59 pm by Shaybaysasuke

» Infinity's Row 2: The Puppetmaster [OPENING APP THREAD]
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 pm by Hime

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Forum Bug

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 am by Sentinel

Hi all,

We're aware of a peculiar forum glitch that's causing some subforums to be locked.

Due to the lateness at this time, it might be a while before the glitch can be remedied, because despite my best efforts and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine admin-side. It may have …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 1

Discord News/Update Test

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am by Sentinel

Just a news, update test. Trying to get this thing to work.

Comments: 0

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Other religious holidays!

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:56 pm by Sentinel

*wipes sweat from brow* Whew, political correctness is a lot of hard work. But it has to be done.

ANYWAYS, we did it - we (almost) survived 2016 which, I think we can all agree, was pretty damn terrible in many ways.

Regardless, it was a good year on the forums - we've met some new faces, set out …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 2

Here's a Crazy Thought

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Here's a Crazy Thought

Post by Lady Senbonzakura on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:14 pm

What I am about to ramble/rant on about is not said in hate, anger, annoyance, or malice. It is not said trying to throw Writing, or Athena, or Hermy, or Xeno, or anyone else for that matter, under any buses or blame them for anything. This is said out of a desire for communication and, dare I say, change.

In improvisation, the acting style, one of the most essential rules is to establish who, what, where, how, and why. However, when they say "who" they don't want you to give names, they want you to describe who you are in relation to the other actor(s) on stage. It's asking, "what's your relationship?"

As I've said before, roleplays are merely stories made by many people in forum format. We tell stories. The stories of people who want to save their world, get out alive, or get through one day at this crazy school.

Stories are about relationships. Between man and man, man and nature, man and himself even. Good stories go into relationships with care, show how they change and what they affect. I desire to write, and roleplay, good stories.

However, I, myself, find that this community sometimes struggles with relationships.

Now, this may just be the RPs I'm in, this may just be the people I RP with, this could very likely be my own misguided view. And if it is, do not hesitate to tell me so.

But, I find this to be a weakness among us.

Not that this is anyone's fault, no, no darlings, I have this weakness too. It's the format we create our stories that is the problem.

When an author writes a book, she knows exactly how this character mingles with this character and how the world around them works. In the format we have, we submit characters and then make the interact with other characters we know nothing about, in a world we hardly have control over. We are at a disadvantage. How can we possibly make realistic interactions between forces we've never seen before?

We can't. Not well, anyway.

So, I suggest, we try something..new. Something odd. Something outside what we think of when we think of this site.

Let's strip away anything distracting. Let's get rid of the saving-the-day-plot. Let's get rid of the magic, get rid of the scifi, all that noise. Let's make some characters, (let's put some thought into 'em this time) let's make some relationships, put them in a world everyone understands and, here's a crazy thought, LET'S WRITE A STORY TOGETHER.

And then, once we think we've got that down, when we understand how this whole collaborative novel-writing show works, we'll add back in our fantasy setting and our save-the-day-plot.

It's just an idea.
Lady Senbonzakura
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

Back to top Go down

Re: Here's a Crazy Thought

Post by ~Dylan Battle~ on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:41 pm

I like the way you think, i dont know exactly how this would work but I'm interested to know.
~Dylan Battle~
Adept Creator
Adept Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena Lionheart on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:05 am

I think I somewhat understand what you're getting at here, but could you explain it a little more straightforwardly? This sounds good, but I'm not certain I'm fully grasping it. You want us to write a novel together?
Athena Lionheart
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

http://creativitycenter.forumotion.com/t869-applications-thread-

Back to top Go down

Post by Fix-It on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:10 am

Gonna go ahead and second what Athena said, heh. ^^'
Fix-It
Profound Creator
Profound Creator

http://sydakasquid.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:21 am

Lady Sen, in the kindest possible way, I just don't think this post is helpful. Let me break down my thoughts.

Lady Sen wrote:However, I, myself, find that this community sometimes struggles with relationships.

This, to me, is where the post starts to break down. I understand that you're trying to say something here, but your point is incredibly vague and not really something I've observed. I feel like your point might really benefit from some examples here, because as it stands, this doesn't really mean anything to me.

Lady Sen wrote:When an author writes a book, she knows exactly how this character mingles with this character and how the world around them works.

Moving forward, I've found this to be pretty much entirely untrue with regards to my own writing. I've found that the better-made my characters are, the more work I've put into setting up their own mindsets and stories and ideas, the more they tend to surprise me with how they ultimately relate to the world, and if they end up going where I'd been wanting them to go, they often don't get there by quite the roads I'd imagined.

Lady Sen wrote:How can we possibly make realistic interactions between forces we've never seen before?

Arguably, you've just restated the fundamental question of fiction writing. However, if we believe your answer, then writing fiction should be impossible; it should be impossible for an author to describe anything outside of their own experience, and by definition, as much as a work fiction may resemble a real event, it isn't one; fiction is outside everyone's experience, looking in, in much the same that a window is on the outside of a house.

Lady Sen wrote:Let's strip away anything distracting. Let's get rid of the saving-the-day-plot. Let's get rid of the magic, get rid of the scifi, all that noise. Let's make some characters, (let's put some thought into 'em this time) let's make some relationships, put them in a world everyone understands and, here's a crazy thought, LET'S WRITE A STORY TOGETHER.

As near as I can tell, what you're saying here is that you want a realistic sandbox RP. I fail to see why, if that's what you want, you can't simply make one as opposed to posting a rant thread which, as I mentioned, I feel to ultimately be generally unhelpful. Second, I doubt that getting rid of any particular lot or genre element is more likely to make anyone's RPing better; with reference to the good Theodore Sturgeon, there's proportionally just as much bad non-genre work out there as there is genre; 90% of everything is crap.

Finally, and my biggest problem with this post, is how remarkably condescending it is. Even the title is remarkably passive aggressive, as though nobody else here has ever considered the fact that they enjoy RPing good character interaction. I also have to wonder why, if you feel that this is a general problem, you feel the need to specify certain users in the opening paragraph. You lay out things that every one of us learned in middle school English class as though you expect us never to have heard them, you casually include... well, everyone in your blanket "Let's put some thought into them this time," though I could point out literally dozens of well-thought-out, nuanced characters across these forums, and for the record, I am not "darling," except possibly to my girlfriend should she be so inclined, in which case I know better than to complain.

Okay, maybe that wasn't the kindest possible way. There's a reason I'm not an admin anymore. For the record, I'm not actually really ticked at all, it's just been an up-and-down sort of day.

But anyway. I like you well enough, Sen, but if you want to make a positive change to something about these forums, this is pretty much the opposite of how.
Omni
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Senbonzakura on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:43 am

Well, as Omni basically summed up, it seems it's a me problem. It's really honestly hard to explain, which is why I didn't do a very good job. I guess sometimes I see all these great ideas fail because we can't grasp what the creator of the RP's overall arching plan is, and it frustrates me. I feel like if we got a better idea of where things could go, we'd actually finish great ideas, and if we had a basic design of relationships, our dialogue would be far better. If maybe we communicated better, things would be different.

Ah, well. I'm not going anywhere. I honestly love it here, but it angers me that no matter what I do, I can't seem to improve anything.

(And no more affectionate names for Omni, I'm sorry, it's a habit, I'll make a note of it.)

Welp, now that everyone knows the bitter, insecure side Lady Sen has been trying to hide from her emotional-safehaven, thread closed.
Lady Senbonzakura
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:19 am

Look, I'm sorry, Sen. I was harsher than I needed to be there, and it is great that you care about this site and want to improve things here. I think that your clarification makes a lot of sense, and that communication--collaboration, really-- really is important for making good RPing happen.
Omni
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Senbonzakura on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:30 am

Thank you.
Lady Senbonzakura
Incredible Creator
Incredible Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero of Time on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:14 am

I may have misinterpreted the OP slightly, but I'd like to share my thoughts on the matter.

Every once in a while, a Sandbox-style RPG has popped up. In these, anyone could change anything that they wanted to (so long as they follow the guidelines, of course), and it was expected that these would be the best and most enticing RPGs to ever hit Central/CC. They never were.

In my opinion, relationships are all about the skill with which you can create a character and, essentially, become them. In real life, for example, if someone had no personality whatsoever, even if exciting things were happening around them, they wouldn't react as others would and would not be able to form relationships... it's just how people work.

I'd also like to add that I agree with Omni wholeheartedly. I will, however, repeat myself in saying that I believe characters to be the problem. In order to create a realistic interaction, one has to put themselves in the mind of their character and react as they would, not as the writer wants them to. This is one of the most challenging facets of writing well.

I don't think that a Sandbox-style RPG is the way to go, quite honestly. Think of all of the successful RPGs in the past: Evergreen, IR, Anaphora, FT, CHB.... the list goes on. Even though many options are presented in these to make them feel like you can do whatever you wish, there is always a plot that keeps things moving and interest circulating.

Lady Sen, I do agree with you that RPG relationships can feel forced at times and inorganic at others, but giving characters infinite options is not the answer. Characters who can react to different situations in their own ways are what make RPGs so exciting.
Hero of Time
Administrator
Administrator

http://creativitycenter.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top